Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Lutron switch, control, and smart bridge

Lutron switch, control, and smart bridge

Hi,

I clearly didn't do any research before buying a number of Lutron components.

I first purchased a Lutron MACL-153M-RHW-WH Maestro 150-Watt Multi-Location CFL/LED Digital Dimmer Kit. It replaced an old, conventional 3-way switch set. Everything with the new Maestro switches work fine.

Later, I bought a Lutron L-BDG2-WH Caseta Wireless Smart Bridge. What I failed to realize is that the Smart Bridge is not compatible with the Maestro line-up. This is ok, since I plan on buying more switches, so I'll make sure the subsequent switches I purchase are compatible with the Smart Bridge.

I did search for any controls that work with Maestro switches. I was careful to order the older Pico switch and purchased the Lutron PJ2-3BRL-WH-L01R Pico Remote Control as it was listed as compatible with Maestro switches. However, I'm now finding that it doesn't pair.

So here are my questions:

1. Is it true that the there are no external controllers available for the Lutron MACL-153M-RHW-WH Maestro switch set I own? If so, that's ok. I'll just consider them an upgrade to my old three-way switches since I can dim the lights for that room now.

2. What switch(es) work(s) with both the Smart Bridge AND the Pico controller I purchased? I'm new to working with home automation devices and recently bought an Echo Dot that I would also like to integrate with whatever switch you recommend.

Thanks for your help!
    Joe

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by joeratman View Post
    Hi,

I clearly didn't do any research before buying a number of Lutron components.

I first purchased a Lutron MACL-153M-RHW-WH Maestro 150-Watt Multi-Location CFL/LED Digital Dimmer Kit. It replaced an old, conventional 3-way switch set. Everything with the new Maestro switches work fine.

Later, I bought a Lutron L-BDG2-WH Caseta Wireless Smart Bridge. What I failed to realize is that the Smart Bridge is not compatible with the Maestro line-up. This is ok, since I plan on buying more switches, so I'll make sure the subsequent switches I purchase are compatible with the Smart Bridge.

I did search for any controls that work with Maestro switches. I was careful to order the older Pico switch and purchased the Lutron PJ2-3BRL-WH-L01R Pico Remote Control as it was listed as compatible with Maestro switches. However, I'm now finding that it doesn't pair.

So here are my questions:

1. Is it true that the there are no external controllers available for the Lutron MACL-153M-RHW-WH Maestro switch set I own? If so, that's ok. I'll just consider them an upgrade to my old three-way switches since I can dim the lights for that room now.

2. What switch(es) work(s) with both the Smart Bridge AND the Pico controller I purchased? I'm new to working with home automation devices and recently bought an Echo Dot that I would also like to integrate with whatever switch you recommend.

Thanks for your help!
    Joe
    Hello joeratman! You are correct, the MACL-153M and companion that you have will not work with any remotes or smart phone apps.

For controls that work with your Smart Bridge and Pico, you will be looking at the Caseta Wireless family at www.casetawireless.com. The standard dimmer is the PD-6WCL. You can find that dimmer packaged with a Pico remote. The model for that package is PD-PKG1W-WH.

Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Jai H. View Post
    Hello joeratman! You are correct, the MACL-153M and companion that you have will not work with any remotes or smart phone apps.

For controls that work with your Smart Bridge and Pico, you will be looking at the Caseta Wireless family at www.casetawireless.com. The standard dimmer is the PD-6WCL. You can find that dimmer packaged with a Pico remote. The model for that package is PD-PKG1W-WH.

I'll order the PD-6WCL standard dimmer and a wall plate for my Pico to convert a single inconvenient switch we have in our screen porch into a three-way switch to turn that light on/off from inside the house. Combined with Alexa and the phone app, I should have a lot of control options now!

Thanks for your help!