Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RR software hangs at "Starting Activation"

RR software hangs at "Starting Activation"

I'm trying to program my main repeater for the 1st time. I get through all the steps before the Activation screen and click the button to Start Activation. After a couple minutes I get the Find Main Repeater dialog. No matter what I do, I can't get it to proceed. Save and Close causes the activation to cancel, and Save Only doesn't seem to affect the process. Any tips?

Thanks!

try connecting to your main repeater via a wired LAN connection. There are lots of various reasons communications can fail, and by bypassing WIFI you can eliminate a lot of variables.

Thanks for the suggestion digit. I've been connecting directly using a patch cable (no network at all). That's the only way I could reliably communicate – the first attempt to upgrade the firmware via wifi bricked it (no OS). But still can't get past the Starting Activation. I can try with wired LAN instead of patch cable, but have little hope that'll be better.

sdgreg- form experience, always hardwire on the firmware updates. Either directly or through the network switch/router. I've bricked a few mains trying it wifi.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Greg,

You didn't say; Is the "Find Main Repeater" (FMR) dialog actually finding the main repeater. I find it easiest to use the design tab and under the "Equipment Room" you will see the Main Repeater. There is a button that will run the FMR dialog. If you find the Main Repeater this way then you should be able to run the Activation. If you are not finding the main repeater then I suggest that you disable any firewalls you may be running. This is something I had to do until I figured out how to configure my firewall to pass the multicast packets. I have not tried to direct connect the main repeater. I suggest using a switch; if you direct connect you may need a crossover cable.

Good Luck

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your tips. Yes I CAN find the main repeater. Here's what I do:

Under Design / Equipment Room I do the FMR, Save & Close – it does a ping test, succeeds and closes.
    Under Design /Master Bedroom I make sure my switches and keypads are added.
    Under Program I set the keypad button behaviors.
    Under Activate I add the serial numbers for each device.
    Then I click Start Activation on the left pane (Control tab).
    It thinks for a bit (1-2 min) then pops up the FMR dialog again – it shows the same Main Repeater (Activated w/ same Serial # as before).
    I click Save & Close – it reports activation cancelled. I have left it running for 15-20 minutes without clicking anything (in the FMR dialog) and no dice. As long as the FMR dialog is open the status bar at the bottom of the windows shows "Activation 0%".

I'll retry the firmware install over LAN instead of patch cable and see if that changes anything.

Thanks again guys!

Greg

sure sounds like you're doing everything right. I have a generic lenovo win 7 PC and all I do is connect my LAN cable directly to the RA2 Main Repeater and reboot the main repeater to ensure it's setting the default IP address scheme correctly.

I'm curious to know what happens if you delete the serial numbers and save the file as a new rev. Try entering activation with no serial numbers and see what happens then.
    What RA2 program version are you using?

Well I reflashed the firmware and then went to activate. Good news is that it proceeded farther than before but reports its unable to activate the devices. I'm going to mess with the serial numbers and crawl the forums for info related to this issue. Thanks for your help.

FYI I have the repeater and laptop on the same wired LAN (same switch) (not connected via patch cable).

Quote Originally Posted by sdgreg View Post
    Well I reflashed the firmware and then went to activate. Good news is that it proceeded farther than before but reports its unable to activate the devices. I'm going to mess with the serial numbers and crawl the forums for info related to this issue. Thanks for your help.

FYI I have the repeater and laptop on the same wired LAN (same switch) (not connected via patch cable).
    I did not enter the serial numbers of my devices; I think it is supposed to work if you do but I can't help with that.

Have the devices been been activated Previously? If so you will have to do a factory reset before you can activate them with your new repeater.

You're sure that the firmware flashed successfully?

if you are still having trouble you should call Lutron tech support; they are very helpful and are supposed to be staffed 24/7

Good Luck

The way I resolved the issue... I had to upgrade to 11.5.1 - setup again all network access for Firewall connection (Allow a program through Windows Firewall), and all worked again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast