Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: LED lights won't turn off completely and can't reach maximum brightness.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3

    LED lights won't turn off completely and can't reach maximum brightness.

    I have 3 Progress Lighting Beyond 17-Watt LED Wall Sconces with a Lutron Maestro C-L dimmer model MACL-153M. I believe I have installed the dimmer correctly and the programming appears to be successful. However, the lights do not completely shut off. I am also unable to raise the lights to the maximum brightness. The documentation for the Progress lights indicates they are dimmable to 10% with an ELV type dimmer.

    Can you tell if I have the correct dimmer and, if so, if the symptoms are characteristic of this type of dimmer?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by kochjv View Post
    I have 3 Progress Lighting Beyond 17-Watt LED Wall Sconces with a Lutron Maestro C-L dimmer model MACL-153M. I believe I have installed the dimmer correctly and the programming appears to be successful. However, the lights do not completely shut off. I am also unable to raise the lights to the maximum brightness. The documentation for the Progress lights indicates they are dimmable to 10% with an ELV type dimmer.

    Can you tell if I have the correct dimmer and, if so, if the symptoms are characteristic of this type of dimmer?

    Thanks
    Hello kochjv, The Maestro dimmer is a digital control. Because of this, there is no mechanical relay inside which turns the lights on and off. As a digital control, there is a very small amount of electrical current that runs through the circuit when the lights are off. Some LEDs react to this current by dimly glowing in the off-state. There is no safety concern with this happening. It is just simply not a compatible dimmer/LED combination.

    The MACL-153M is not an ELV dimmer. Since we have not tested these fixtures, we cannot guarantee compatibility with any of our controls. We would suggest contacting Progress Lighting to see if they can recommend a specific dimmer for your fixtures.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3

    Update on LED Dimmer issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jai H. View Post
    Hello kochjv, The Maestro dimmer is a digital control. Because of this, there is no mechanical relay inside which turns the lights on and off. As a digital control, there is a very small amount of electrical current that runs through the circuit when the lights are off. Some LEDs react to this current by dimly glowing in the off-state. There is no safety concern with this happening. It is just simply not a compatible dimmer/LED combination.

    The MACL-153M is not an ELV dimmer. Since we have not tested these fixtures, we cannot guarantee compatibility with any of our controls. We would suggest contacting Progress Lighting to see if they can recommend a specific dimmer for your fixtures.
    Jai,

    I contacted Progress Lighting and they recommended the Lutron MAELV-600 dimmer as they have tested it with these lights. After installing the MAELV-600, I get full brightness, on/off and even fade to off. But the dimmer does not work. I can find no instructions indicating I have to program the dimmer and none of the Advanced Programming Mode features appear to control the dimming of the lights. This shouldn't be this difficult. I'm obviously missing something but I don't know what. The troubleshooting guide that comes with the dimmer does not address problems with dimming the lights.

  4. #4
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by kochjv View Post
    Jai,

    I contacted Progress Lighting and they recommended the Lutron MAELV-600 dimmer as they have tested it with these lights. After installing the MAELV-600, I get full brightness, on/off and even fade to off. But the dimmer does not work. I can find no instructions indicating I have to program the dimmer and none of the Advanced Programming Mode features appear to control the dimming of the lights. This shouldn't be this difficult. I'm obviously missing something but I don't know what. The troubleshooting guide that comes with the dimmer does not address problems with dimming the lights.
    kochjv,

    It sounds as though the dimmer is wired backwards. a way to test this is to pull the tab out at the bottom of the dimmer. If the LED indicator lights on the dimmer do not go out, it is wired backwards. The 120V feed should be going to the black screw or wire, and the lights should be attached to the brass screw or red wire.

  5. Likes thomod liked this post
  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3

    MAELV-600 Working Correctly

    Quote Originally Posted by Jai H. View Post
    kochjv,

    It sounds as though the dimmer is wired backwards. a way to test this is to pull the tab out at the bottom of the dimmer. If the LED indicator lights on the dimmer do not go out, it is wired backwards. The 120V feed should be going to the black screw or wire, and the lights should be attached to the brass screw or red wire.
    Jai,

    You are a genius. I had carefully plugged the dimmer switch with the same wiring configuration used for the original rocker switch. I flipped the wires as you recommended and all is well.

    Thank you

  7. #6
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by kochjv View Post
    Jai,

    You are a genius. I had carefully plugged the dimmer switch with the same wiring configuration used for the original rocker switch. I flipped the wires as you recommended and all is well.

    Thank you
    That's great! I'm glad it was a simple fix for you!

Similar Threads

  1. In-wall light dimmer (PD-6WCL) - only 80% maximum brightness?
    By nester in forum Troubleshooting - CAS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2017, 07:26 PM
  2. Why don’t my lights turn on/off automatically like they should?
    By Rob L. in forum Troubleshooting - Quantum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-29-2016, 01:05 PM
  3. Occupancy sensor to turn lights on, but not off
    By ultravelocity in forum General Discussion - RA2
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-15-2016, 06:09 PM
  4. Lights turn on by themselves
    By randyc in forum Troubleshooting - RA2
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-11-2014, 12:18 PM
  5. Sensors To Turn On Exterior Lights?
    By geofry in forum Design Assistance - RA2
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2014, 02:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •