Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Why are Global Scenes an Inclusive Capability

Why are Global Scenes an Inclusive Capability

I've converted my home from x10, controlled by a Leviton Toscana controller to RadioRa2. Almost all programming of my x10 environment was scene based so I just naturally think in terms of scenes. I can't understand why Lutron reserves the use of global scenes for the Inclusive version of the programming software. I understand for more complex devices but global scenes are just a time saving convenience. I have 4 keypads in my house and I use the phantom button capability on the main repeater; my life would be much easier if I could define global scenes and attach them to the buttons.

What do you think? If I can ever find time I just might have to take the level 2 training. Oh, is this why global scenes are only included in the Inclusive software?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rbeachra View Post
    I've converted my home from x10, controlled by a Leviton Toscana controller to RadioRa2. Almost all programming of my x10 environment was scene based so I just naturally think in terms of scenes. I can't understand why Lutron reserves the use of global scenes for the Inclusive version of the programming software. I understand for more complex devices but global scenes are just a time saving convenience. I have 4 keypads in my house and I use the phantom button capability on the main repeater; my life would be much easier if I could define global scenes and attach them to the buttons.

What do you think? If I can ever find time I just might have to take the level 2 training. Oh, is this why global scenes are only included in the Inclusive software?

Thanks
    Can't you just do a copy/paste? That's what I do when putting the same scene on different keypads.

Quote Originally Posted by freeoscar View Post
    Can't you just do a copy/paste? That's what I do when putting the same scene on different keypads.
    Thanks Oscar, I did not realize this is possible. Can you help with implementation details? Do you copy the button? Does it work with "Phantom Buttons"?

I appreciate the help.

So I answered my own question: yes you copy the already programmed button and paste it to another. The only negative is that I can't figure out how to do this with "Phantom Buttons". This is where the global scene capability would be helpful.

So what do you say Lutron? Why not make the Global Scenes part of the "Essential" software?

Thanks

Hello Rbeachra,
    Thank you for your post.
    There are certain features and device types available only in inclusive versions. It may make sense for you to consider the inclusive training to take advantage of the shared scene feature. Thank you for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. View Post
    Hello Rbeachra,
    Thank you for your post.
    There are certain features and device types available only in inclusive versions. It may make sense for you to consider the inclusive training to take advantage of the shared scene feature. Thank you for your feedback.
    Blair,

i understand and that certain features are only available in inclusive versions. My question is why is the Global Scene feature only available in the inclusive version? I understand why Lutron would want users to have additional training in order to use some of the more complex components but I don't understand why the training is necessary for Global Scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rbeachra View Post
    i understand and that certain features are only available in inclusive versions. My question is why is the Global Scene feature only available in the inclusive version? I understand why Lutron would want users to have additional training in order to use some of the more complex components but I don't understand why the training is necessary for Global Scenes.
    If anything the continued use of Essentials/Inclusive tiers causes more trouble than it's worth. I mean, really, just what about any of these devices is so fantastically complicated that it justifies these artificial boundaries?

Don't get me wrong, training for understanding scenes and configuring load types and such IS a very good thing. But, honestly, blocking people from using the software until they find the time to attend an in-person training seminar, and all the travel expenses associated with it, is more burdensome than seems necessary. Realistically, what WOULD HAPPEN if they just made the barrier go away?

I posted about this in another thread but I agree. Either Lutron should make Ra2 a dealer only system and cut off homeowners completely, or if the homeowner gets access and trains, it should be the same software all together. I have a potentially bad situation brewing with a customer who has essentials training and software access but I programmed it using inclusive as I have done from the first day RA2 came out and had no idea global scenes and certain devices were restricted. Now he can't open the file to make changes on his own. I can see Lutron making a case that having 2 main repeaters is a complicated thing that should be limited to inclusive and honestly, after the first time I did that 5 years ago, I would rather use Homeworks QS if it's more than 100 devices, but Global scenes? Grafik T dimmers? Why do these need to be restricted?

I feel as more homeowners and DIYers try to do these things themselves, there is going to be a lot of issues. In my case (as explained in the thread I opened last night), Customer started the work but wanted me to finish it and give it back to him.

For me the problem with the Inclusive tiers is having to physically go to the training rather than the on-line training available to be Level I certified.

I would gladly do more on-line modules to learn. If the price was right I would pay to complete them and be level II certified. However, cost of travel and two full days for the level II training makes it hard. There was a class a few months ago that was "only" a 6 hour drive away. I was busy those days so the next class near me isn't for a year. If you make it an on-line course I would have taken it years ago.

10. Thanks wkearney99 thanked for this post
    Likes wkearney99, ScottKinSF liked this post