Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Compatible Philips LED bulbs buzzing after installing Caseta wireless dimmer

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    4

    Compatible Philips LED bulbs buzzing after installing Caseta wireless dimmer

    My ceiling has 9 Philips BR30 LED lights which now buzz both when dimmed and when totally on after I installed a new Caseta wireless dimmer. Since these bulbs are supposed to be compatible, is there another reason that might cause the buzzing?

  2. #2
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by jmonte View Post
    My ceiling has 9 Philips BR30 LED lights which now buzz both when dimmed and when totally on after I installed a new Caseta wireless dimmer. Since these bulbs are supposed to be compatible, is there another reason that might cause the buzzing?
    Hello jmonte, Could you provide the model number of the LEDs you are using? Other than compatibility, the only reason why the LEDs might buzz is if they are not seated properly in the sockets.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jai H. View Post
    Hello jmonte, Could you provide the model number of the LEDs you are using? Other than compatibility, the only reason why the LEDs might buzz is if they are not seated properly in the sockets.
    They are Philips 650 Lumens, dimmable, 9w, 2700k 95mA, 3PM5, 9290011749

  4. #4
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by jmonte View Post
    They are Philips 650 Lumens, dimmable, 9w, 2700k 95mA, 3PM5, 9290011749
    Lutron did test those LEDs, but did not find them to be compatible with our Caseta dimmers. We have not many BR30 LEDs meet our dimming standards recently. If choosing a PAR 30 is acceptable, you could use the following.

    http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Resource...APR%20REVA.pdf

    To search for more PAR30 LEDs you can use our LED product selection tool at www.lutron.com/ledtool.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    4
    They wold need to be BR30 or R30 or they wold not match anything else in the house. It is quit challenging to find bulbs that match the list as they do not seem to exist. For example, the tool says this is a reccomended bulb - Sylvania - BR30 Model # 79654 Lowes SKU # 621175 - but when you go to Lowes site, the sku # is a) no longer available and b) matches to a different part number.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/SYLVANIA-65...-Bulb/50260917

    Same for the Philips bulb. The tool recommends the Philips - R30 Model # 9290012218 - but the only Google match to that part number is on the Lutron site. It is not available for purchase anywhere. Can you tell me if any of these BR30 bulbs are compatible?:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/SYLVANIA-65...ulb/1000033753
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/SYLVANIA-Ul...lbs/1000221147
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/SYLVANIA-Ul...lbs/1000221117
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/SYLVANIA-2-...lbs/1000024495

  6. #6
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by jmonte View Post
    They wold need to be BR30 or R30 or they wold not match anything else in the house. It is quit challenging to find bulbs that match the list as they do not seem to exist. For example, the tool says this is a reccomended bulb - Sylvania - BR30 Model # 79654 Lowes SKU # 621175 - but when you go to Lowes site, the sku # is a) no longer available and b) matches to a different part number.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/SYLVANIA-65...-Bulb/50260917

    Same for the Philips bulb. The tool recommends the Philips - R30 Model # 9290012218 - but the only Google match to that part number is on the Lutron site. It is not available for purchase anywhere. Can you tell me if any of these BR30 bulbs are compatible?:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/SYLVANIA-65...ulb/1000033753
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/SYLVANIA-Ul...lbs/1000221147
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/SYLVANIA-Ul...lbs/1000221117
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/SYLVANIA-2-...lbs/1000024495
    We understand the frustration. The world of LEDs is constantly evolving and it is impossible to keep up with the changes that manufacturers make to their LEDs.

    We have tested the first one, and we had continuous flashing in our testing. We have not tested any of the others, so we cannot guarantee compatibility with any of our controls.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    4
    I have tested installing some more dimmers in a few other rooms. None of them have any buzzing even though they are using the same Philips bulbs. Any idea why it would only affect one room out of 4 so far?

  8. #8
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by jmonte View Post
    I have tested installing some more dimmers in a few other rooms. None of them have any buzzing even though they are using the same Philips bulbs. Any idea why it would only affect one room out of 4 so far?
    The first thing I would suggest is to swap dimmers. See if the buzzing follows the dimmer. If so, then we know the dimmer is an issue. If not, then we know it has something to do with the LEDs, or the specific location. There may be some other electronic device that is causing noise on the line and the LEDs are reacting to that.

    Different quantities of LEDs on a dimmer can change the performance.

Similar Threads

  1. Need Candelabra e12 LED bulbs compatible with Caseta dimmers
    By Intex in forum General Discussion - CAS
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-26-2017, 11:35 AM
  2. Bulbs too dim after installing Lutron MACL-153M-WH Maestro dimmer
    By tyger in forum Performance Issues - LED
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2015, 05:32 PM
  3. Philips R20 LEDs buzzing - ELV dimmer causes other issues
    By jdv_leduser in forum Performance Issues - LED
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-27-2015, 08:43 PM
  4. Slight Buzzing for Philips 452268 BR30 65W bulbs
    By DonnieNarco in forum Performance Issues - LED
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2015, 07:39 AM
  5. Buzzing noise from the LED Can lights after installing Caseta Dimmers
    By johnbee in forum General Discussion - CAS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2014, 03:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •