Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Occupancy sensor with Lutron Caseta and SmartThings

Occupancy sensor with Lutron Caseta and SmartThings

I have a laundry room with a light controlled by a Caseta Wireless dimmer. I also have a SmartThings hub and a Caseta Smart Bridge Pro. I'm in California where we have Title 24 requirements, and I need to have this room controlled by an occupancy sensor. I have a couple questions:

1) Could I install a SmartThings motion sensor to automatically turn on the light if someone enters (or opens the laundry room door)?
    2) Could I also have the light automatically turn off xx minutes after the light turns on (or after the sensor last detects motion)?
    3) If it's possible to do (2), do I have to code this myself or is there something off-the-shelf that makes it easy to do this?

Thanks!

dh@davidharter.com

Occupancy sensor with Lutron Caseta and SmartThings

This is exactly what I need to do. Any responses/ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by calumin View Post
    I have a laundry room with a light controlled by a Caseta Wireless dimmer. I also have a SmartThings hub and a Caseta Smart Bridge Pro. I'm in California where we have Title 24 requirements, and I need to have this room controlled by an occupancy sensor. I have a couple questions:

1) Could I install a SmartThings motion sensor to automatically turn on the light if someone enters (or opens the laundry room door)?
    2) Could I also have the light automatically turn off xx minutes after the light turns on (or after the sensor last detects motion)?
    3) If it's possible to do (2), do I have to code this myself or is there something off-the-shelf that makes it easy to do this?

Thanks!

Why Lutron is not supporting this within the Caseta ecosystem baffles me. Well I know why, because they probably want to push you towards the upper end model, but this is something, based on the amount of posts, a lot of folks would like to have supported natively since most of us don't want to have to add additional hub to our systems thus adding another system into the mix.

Does the smart things integration require that Lutron dimmers/switches and picos be paired to the Smart Things Hub ( a la wink)? or is there some kind of hub to hub integration and the Lutron HW gets paired to the actual Lutron hub?

I used Lutron Occupancy Sensors connect to Caseta Dimmers to do the same things in all my stairs, is it what you wanted? The Occupancy Sensor have many build-in options for setting.
    The only thing is the dimmer cannot connect to Smart Bridge or Smart Bridge Pro any more.

Another words, this can be done by pairing the Caseta Dimmer or Switch to the Lutron Occupancy Sensor. This will be a stand alone setup. Unfortunately, this Dimmer / Switch cannot be paired with the Bridge.

Come on Lutron, Please change this! Allow the Occupancy Sensors to work with Caseta!

Quote Originally Posted by davidchanty View Post
    I used Lutron Occupancy Sensors connect to Caseta Dimmers to do the same things in all my stairs, is it what you wanted? The Occupancy Sensor have many build-in options for setting.
    The only thing is the dimmer cannot connect to Smart Bridge or Smart Bridge Pro any more.

Yes you can do it with a smartthings sensors, you can have it turn on with motion and different ways to turn it off. You can also do it with a homekit sensors. you will have to set up rules/robots to turn the light on and off. (both pretty simple setups)

Agreed, but you have to outside of the Caseta world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    Yes you can do it with a smartthings sensors, you can have it turn on with motion and different ways to turn it off. You can also do it with a homekit sensors. you will have to set up rules/robots to turn the light on and off. (both pretty simple setups)

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    How is the lag going between the devices and bridges?

For clarification,

ST - Motion Sensor
    L - Light Switch
    or
    ST - Motion Sensor and Light Switch
    L - Light Switch
    or
    ST - Motion Sensor and Light Switch
    L - Nothing

ST now becomes the bridge for all of the light switches in my system?

Quote Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
    How is the lag going between the devices and bridges?
    The lag of smartthings/HomeKit controlling Caseta is quite good (not really noticeable). There's a lot of lag to detect a Caseta button press in Smartthings or HomeKit - about 3 seconds.

The Caseta -> Smartthings/HomeKit delay actually isn't an issue in most scenarios if you think about it-- the occupancy sensor use case works fine. You need to use a non-Lutron (generally Z-wave) switch if you want a switch to quickly trigger a smartthings/homekit action.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast