Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: LED Rope/Tape strobing with Lutron C-L Dimmer

LED Rope/Tape strobing with Lutron C-L Dimmer

Electrician installed an LED rope/tape in our great room. I replaced the SPST switch with a Lutron dimmer, DVCL-153PR. I notice when it is off, and I bring the dimmer up it works fine. If I have the dimmer half way up or more, and turn the switch off then back on again, the lights will strobe. By that I mean flash very quickly. I can go back to a non-dimmer solution, but does anyone know why this might be happening? i would actually love to have this particular set of lights on a dimmer being a home theater type room. if I need to, I can get a ladder up and check what the actual type of lights are.

Sounds like a classic case of a non-dim driver, the easiest thing to do would be to replace the driver with a dimmable driver.

First we need to know what is the dimming voltage? Typically 12vdc or 24vdc for strip but always check, the wonderful world of LED manufacturing loves to keep us on our feet. Next how much current draw? This is usually measured in watt per meter/foot, multiply this out to get your load wattage and match it with an appropriate driver.

I.e.

24v 46watt

Lutron make a simple 2 wire driver for this type of thing called a Hi-Lume 1%, this is available in 12 or 24v.

3. Thanks FTJoe thanked for this post
    Likes FTJoe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by domino View Post
    Sounds like a classic case of a non-dim driver, the easiest thing to do would be to replace the driver with a dimmable driver.

First we need to know what is the dimming voltage? Typically 12vdc or 24vdc for strip but always check, the wonderful world of LED manufacturing loves to keep us on our feet. Next how much current draw? This is usually measured in watt per meter/foot, multiply this out to get your load wattage and match it with an appropriate driver.

I.e.

24v 46watt

Lutron make a simple 2 wire driver for this type of thing called a Hi-Lume 1%, this is available in 12 or 24v.
    Thanks so much for the response. Apologies for the delay but I HAD to go on a golf trip. I finally got in touch with the electrician's company and they told me the dimmer has to be a magnetic dimmer switch rated for 600W. I found one from Lutron it on Amazon and it will be here Saturday. Hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Good to hear, I didn't think of it being an MLV as these are pretty much non existent outside of the US and UK.

6. Thanks FTJoe thanked for this post
    Likes FTJoe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by domino View Post
    Good to hear, I didn't think of it being an MLV as these are pretty much non existent outside of the US and UK.
    I got the switch, working well. Figured I'd post in case someone else runs into the issue. Thanks again for all the help!!!