Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta PD-6WCL wiring question

Caseta PD-6WCL wiring question

Hi,

Newbie here. I have a wiring problem and would appreciate any help.

I'm trying to replace my current light switch with a Caseta dimmer (PD-6WCL). In the switch box, I have one romex cable coming in and that's it. There's one black, one white and a ground wire. Right now, the black is connect to one of the brass terminal on my old switch. The white is connect to the other brass terminal. And ground to ground. How would I wire the new Caseta in this case? It seems strange. How does it work if I only have one cable coming into the box.

The other 2 switches I replaced has 2 romex cables coming into the box. For those I just followed the instructions and it all works.

Thanks for any assistance.

Black should be incoming power, white outgoing. I believe it may not matter in this case.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Same issue

Quote Originally Posted by niagarafalls View Post
    Hi,

Newbie here. I have a wiring problem and would appreciate any help.

I'm trying to replace my current light switch with a Caseta dimmer (PD-6WCL). In the switch box, I have one romex cable coming in and that's it. There's one black, one white and a ground wire. Right now, the black is connect to one of the brass terminal on my old switch. The white is connect to the other brass terminal. And ground to ground. How would I wire the new Caseta in this case? It seems strange. How does it work if I only have one cable coming into the box.

The other 2 switches I replaced has 2 romex cables coming into the box. For those I just followed the instructions and it all works.

Thanks for any assistance.
    Any resolution on this Niagra, I have the same situation. Single gang box with a single Rolex cable that has 3 wires - black, white, and bare copper. It's on the same breaker as some other lights but there not another switch that controls it.

I tried connecting black to caseta black, white to caseta black, and bare copper to caseta green. When I turned the power back the light fixture was on and very dim, but no lights on the caseta and none of the controls worked (on/off or dim). Also tried just black to black caseta and bare copper to green caseta but that didn't work either.

Lutron Technical Support
    If you only have a single black/white/ground cable in the wall box, SDR-Mike is correct about the wiring. The power is going to the fixture first and then down to a switch. The white wire in this case isn't a neutral. For future reference, you may want to mark that white wire with a piece of tape, or with marker, to show that it isn't a neutral.

Here's a picture of what the wiring would look like in the house:

To install the dimmer:
    - Connect the black house wire to either of the black dimmer wires (it doesn't matter which one).
    - Connect the white house wire to the remaining black dimmer wire.
    - Finally connect the house ground wire to the green dimmer wire.

Thanks, Brian that clears things up. That's how I originally had it wired, as you described. I'll have to double check the compatibility of my ecosmart chandelier bulbs to see if they are the root cause of why the switch itself doesn't seem to work or light up, but all the bulbs light up at a very dim level.

I also have the same situation and want to verify if the neutral is needed. The wiring diagrams show hot, neutral and load connections.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Caseta Advanced Instructions.png  

Lutron Technical Support
    The PD-6WCL never needs a neutral wire connected to it.
    99.9% of standard house switches never have a neutral wire connected to it.
    The thumbnail you attached is actually for a 3-way circuit, where 2 switches control the same light.
    If you are having issues wiring a dimmer in place of a switch, you could call our 24-hour Technical Support hotline at 1-800-523-9466 while you are by the switch, so we can assist you directly.