Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trigger phantom button press over telnet/RS232

Trigger phantom button press over telnet/RS232

I am integrating with a 3rd party home automation controller via RS232. I want to set the trim of my dimmers such that they are lower during the day, and brighter at night. The 3rd party controller has excellent day/night detection, therefore I want to have it tell the repeater when to set the trim.

In the RA2 software I created a custom green mode called “Dimmers Low” and a phantom button on my main repeater to trigger it. I also created a second phantom button to turn off green mode. For testing, I went into telnet and tried to send a #DEVICE command to turn it on. The “Dimmers Low” button is in position 1 on main repeater (which has integration id 1) so i issued #DEVICE,1,1,3 (3 for button press, but 1/2 for enables/disabled didn’t work either). I expected my already on LED to dim, but it didn’t do anything.

Just as a test, I created a 3rd phantom button that just turns on the dimmer to 50% over 10 seconds. Issuing #DEVICE,1,3,3 over telnet worked exactly as I expected it to, so it maybe I’m misunderstanding how the green modes work?

One thing to note, the dimmer's readout will not reflect the dropped green trim. It will still appear to be 100%, when it has actually been trimmed by the percentage described on your phantom button. A drop of just 10% may not be noticeable. You made need to push father down, like 20% or more. I would try having the phantom button 1 affect a dimmer/switch leg that is next to another that you can leave unaffected. This way you can fine tune the green level drop percentage, then add the unaffected legs back in after the fact.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols