Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Very sensitive fan speed control 5S-5F

Very sensitive fan speed control 5S-5F

I've had a ceiling fan with a Lutron 5S-5F rotary speed control since I've been in this house (over 20 years) and have never been happy with the speed control. It's been workable, but I realize that it may be something easy to fix so thought I'd ask.

When I turn the switch to start the fan it starts at max speed and then it goes to slow with barely a quarter of an inch of turn. That's not a quarter turn, it's probably only a 10 degree angle, if that much. I've always wondered if the chain is not set on the right speed or something else.

FYI, the light is on a separate switch (regular 3 wire, two switch circuit) and and works fine.

Any advice on how I can get a more complete range of speed control?

Administrator
    Hello SteveH. It sounds like you are trying to use a full variable fan speed control on a 3-speed fan. That may be part of the problem. The model you would want to use is the FSQ-2F. Also, if the pull chain is not set at high, you could experience speed issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Jai H. View Post
    Hello SteveH. It sounds like you are trying to use a full variable fan speed control on a 3-speed fan. That may be part of the problem. The model you would want to use is the FSQ-2F. Also, if the pull chain is not set at high, you could experience speed issues.
    You were right! I replaced the continuous dial with a 3 speed setting dial and it now works great. I can quickly choose the speed I want. Thanks for the insight and the suggestion!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    You were right! I replaced the continuous dial with a 3 speed setting dial and it now works great. I can quickly choose the speed I want. Thanks for the insight and the suggestion!
    Great! I am glad it worked out for you.

Steve?

I have a MAQL-LQF WALL switch controlling an Edison fan. My chain was set to high and rotation set before install. Now I have a very slow 1-3 but 4 using the rocker is proper full speed. There are no advanced programming (fass) details to adjust fan speeds. I was using a Lutron skylark fan control/ dimmer and it hit all 3 speeds no problem. It almost seems like the fans capacitor is interfering with the controller. Any ideas?