Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Switch Operation is Reversed

Use the other red wire in a single-pole usage to fix this problem

I had the same problem in a single-pole installation, but fixed it by switching the red wires.
    To wit, the TGCL-153-PH-WH has two red wires: one solid red, and one with a white stripe. Originally I had connected the solid red wire to the light fixture and capped the striped one, but this led to the switch having the reverse operation as intended, just like you experienced. To fix it, I instead capped the solid red wire and connected the striped red wire to the light fixture, and voila the switch now works as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckc3 View Post
    I just purchased and installed a LUTRON TGCL-153PH-WH Toggler Dimmer Switch for LED, Incandescent and halogen bulbs, White. The switch and dimmer work fine but the operation of the switch is reversed. With the switch mounted in the upright position:

- Moving the switch lever to the up position turns the lights off
    - Moving the switch lever to the down position turns the lights on

The operation of the dimmer is correct - in that position, moving the dimmer slider up brightens the lights, down dims the lights

The operation of the switch is reversed from what it should be. How do I correct this problem? If I mount the switch upside-down, the switch will work properly but then the dimmer slider will be reversed.

Thanks,

Sorry, my Lutron dimmer switch is actually model DVCL-153PR-WH (i.e. it is a "DVCL" style switch not the "TGCL" style).... So although the DVCL has both a red and a red/white striped wire, I have no idea if the TGCL has the same setup.

Lutron Technical Support
    If the TGCL-153P is installed in a single-pole application and we use both the copper screw and brass screw on the same side of the dimmer, then the dimmer will switch in reverse (e.g. down is on, and up is off). Simply remove the wire from the brass colored screw and tie it into the other brass colored screw on the opposite side of the dimmer. This will resolve the issue.

DVCL-153PR Same Issue

Apparently I have a newer version, the DVCL-153PR, with the same reverse light issue. This unit doesn’t allow access to where the wires attach to the dimmer. They’re protected by a plastic housing, and it looks like the wires may be attached to a circuit board. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!

Lutron Technical Support
    On the DVCL-153PR, you will need to use the black and red wires in a single-pole application (red/white capped off). If you use the black and red/white wires, the paddle switch will operate backwards (up is off and down is on).

Nope. Im hoping someone will answer this too. I have the same issue. Every example supplied does not cover my issue. Everyone says cap off the red and white striped wire but when I do so, I get no power at all to the light. So the red and white is either needed or the black its tied to need t go somewhere.

Same here. everyone is talking about screws and the wires are all "hardwired" into the black box of the switch. I have tried tons of combinations and none seem to do it. Some say cap off the red and white striped one but when I do that the switch doesnt work at all. So seems red to red and black to black and green to green is all the same, but I have a second black that is groups with others and my red and white seems to HAVE to be connected to that. I tried putting all blacks together and that kept the light on continuously no matter which way the switch was flipped.

Did the same thing and it didnt work for me. werid. Got any suggestions?

Hi Jai. what do you do when the new switch has no screws? All 4 wires are "hardwired" inside the black box of the switch. I have green to green, red to red, bkl to blk and red/white striped to the 4th set of wires coming out of the wall. THis is the only combination I can have to make the switch even work, however up is still off and down is still on.

Hi Garret. I have all of it set as you say, but it still doesn't work. I have a 4th set of wires coming from the wall which are all grouped to gether. I HAVE to have the red/white connected to that to make it work but up is still off and down is still on. If i disconnect and cap the red/wht then i the switch does not work. I don't understand what connects to the 4th wire coming from the wall.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast