Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lumaris undercabinet lights, lens sagging at daisy-chain connections

Lumaris undercabinet lights, lens sagging at daisy-chain connections

Installed about 9 months ago, lens is sagging away from housing at point of daisy-chaining. In this install, there are 2 points of daisy-chaining, and each has a single sagging lens at the connection.

Solutions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lumaris sagging lens.jpg  

Administrator
    Hello Neurorad. Have you tried pushing the cover back into the fixture? If so, does it no longer lock in with the fixture rail?

Quote Originally Posted by Jai H. View Post
    Hello Neurorad. Have you tried pushing the cover back into the fixture? If so, does it no longer lock in with the fixture rail?
    I have not yet touched either of the covers. But, obviously, the covers were pushed in at the initial install, and now have fallen out. How to prevent it from happening again?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
    I have not yet touched either of the covers. But, obviously, the covers were pushed in at the initial install, and now have fallen out. How to prevent it from happening again?
    It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks as though these fixtures are mounted under a kitchen cabinet. Is there something that is producing heat on the kitchen counter? Something like a slow cooker, or coffee maker? We are wondering if there is prolonged exposure to heat that is softening the covers.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks as though these fixtures are mounted under a kitchen cabinet. Is there something that is producing heat on the kitchen counter? Something like a slow cooker, or coffee maker? We are wondering if there is prolonged exposure to heat that is softening the covers.
    Kitchen counter, yes, but not in the 'cooking' area of the kitchen - next to the kitchen table, at a great distance from anything hot. Nothing hot used on this counter, ever.

Two daisy-chained connections are about 4 feet away from each other, too.

Maybe a dab of cyanoacrylate at the ends?

I would try high-temp hot glue or silicone before crazy glue.

2-3 weeks ago, one of the daisy-chained luminaires stopped working intermittently. I thought it was a bad connection, and figured electrician would re-connect when he returns for other work in a few weeks. This is also where one of the covers is falling away from the housing.

This weekend, the other daisy-chained light started working intermittently, also at a point where the cover is falling away from the housing.

I haven't touched the housings, covers, or connections at all yet. This seems like a pretty great coincidence. Is there some heat build up at these connections? I have looked at the install instructions, and it doesn't look like the physical wire connections could allow for poor contact, arcing, and increased resistance, but that certainly is a theory.

Both lengths of Lumaris are controlled with a RA2 RRD-6NA.

One side: FXD1UF1 Driver (40w) --> 2x 36in sections (30watt total) [2700k, frosted lens, Brown Finish]
    Other Side: FXD1UF1 Driver (40w) --> 1x 36in + 1x 18in sections (23watt total) [2700k, frosted lens, Brown Finish]

My distributor is active on AVS. I will ask him there.

Administrator
    Hello Neurorad,

Sorry for the delay in our response. When you say it started working intermittently, do you mean that sometimes it turns on, and sometimes it does not? There should not be any heat build up at the connections if installed properly.

Hello Neurorad,

Sorry for the delay in our response. When you say it started working intermittently, do you mean that sometimes it turns on, and sometimes it does not? There should not be any heat build up at the connections if installed properly.
    2 sets of lights, right and left.

On the left, the proximal LED strip powers on normally, and the distal does not. Previously, during the last few weeks, the distal would come on normally, but torn off and on intermittently.

On the right, after powering on normally, the distal will shut off after some hours, and turn back on after several more hours. Unpredictable pattern.

You are correct, there should not be any heat buildup if installed properly, but something has caused these lenses/covers to fail. I'm betting it's the design.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast