Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Programming keypads not working

Programming keypads not working

I've got a RALB-5W-XX keypad and am trying to assign a new (second-hand) dimmer to one of the buttons, replacing a dimmer that died.

From what I read, the procedure is:

- make sure control is in ROOM mode (it is)
    - hold down 2nd and 4th buttons for 3 secs until top LED blinks
    - select button you want to program
    - turn ON the dimmer you want it to control
    - hold down 2nd and 4th buttons for 3 secs to exit programming mode

I couldn't get this to work, and in messing around I've now gotten the keypad into a state where it doesn't work anymore (does not turn indivisual lights on/off except for the all-on/all-off buttons). However, when I put it in programming mode and select a button, it correctly turns on the lights that that button should control (except for the new one).

Any idea (a) why I couldn't get the new dimmer programmed in and (b) what I did to get the keypad into this weird mode?

Many thanks.

Hello maarten,
    Thank you for your post.
    Try factory resetting the keypad and the dimmer. Then add them back to the system and try again. If the issue remains then you can try to reset the repeater or chronos, but this will require a reprogram of the whole system.

Hi Blair,

Thanks for the response. I don't have a repeater or a Chronos hub. Just two keypads and some RadioRA dimmers. So there's no system to add them back into.

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by maarten View Post
    Hi Blair,

Thanks for the response. I don't have a repeater or a Chronos hub. Just two keypads and some RadioRA dimmers. So there's no system to add them back into.
    If you don't have a repeater nor a Chronos, then there isn't any way to link the RF frequencies of the keypad and dimmers. You won't be able to program the new dimmer(s) to the keypad.

Interesting. So the installer used a repeater to set it up and then it works without the repeater present?

The system can still work without the repeater as long as the devices can communicate with one another. Although in these cases there may be lag in the system if the devices are not within range. There have been a handful of cases where I have run into with other customers who later discover that the system was setup and the repeater was not left on site. See if you can contact the original installers to discuss this with them. You can also contact obsoleteproducts@lutron.com for replacement parts.