Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Unable to change existing dimmer type in software

Unable to change existing dimmer type in software

My current customer was certified and took it upon himself to design the house before I got involved. Bless his heart, he did the best he could but a half dozen or so times, he chose the wrong dimmer type. The installed dimmers were CL dimmers but he chose 6NA dimmers. I went ahead and programmed the system already before activating the devices but during activation the ra2 software was seeing CL type and there was a conflict.

No problem I thought, I'd just go to the device, Edit, and change it to the Inc/MLV/LED type but the part # still shows 6NA. There is such option as CL and the only way to change it to CL is to delete the device (and programming) and put in a new device and then go back to every program that used that dimmer. I remember this was the case in the earlier versions and thought it would be fixed by now, but the bug is still there.

Am I missing something?

2. Thanks SDR-Mike thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    My current customer was certified and took it upon himself to design the house before I got involved. Bless his heart, he did the best he could but a half dozen or so times, he chose the wrong dimmer type. The installed dimmers were CL dimmers but he chose 6NA dimmers. I went ahead and programmed the system already before activating the devices but during activation the ra2 software was seeing CL type and there was a conflict.

No problem I thought, I'd just go to the device, Edit, and change it to the Inc/MLV/LED type but the part # still shows 6NA. There is such option as CL and the only way to change it to CL is to delete the device (and programming) and put in a new device and then go back to every program that used that dimmer. I remember this was the case in the earlier versions and thought it would be fixed by now, but the bug is still there.

Am I missing something?
    You want the LED/CFL/INC Dimmer device type, this will give you 3 dimmer options under "choose alternate model", if you select INC/MLV/LED you only get the 6NA.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6na2cl.png  

Hi Mike, thank you for your help! The screen grab you posted was very helpful but I found that it still wasn't showing on my end, but now I know why! It turns out that if you don't fill out the wattage of the light fixtures correctly - ie you pick a wattage less than the minimum load of the dimmer, it won't even let you choose it.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    ... you pick a wattage less than the minimum load of the dimmer, it won't even let you choose it.
    I work as an electrical distributor now, and always check my switch legs for over-wattage and such. Because of this, I am in the habit (good or bad) of not entering the fixture counts and wattage. It eliminates the problem you experienced.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

I'm a master electrician and to be honest, I rarely write it in too except when I need to out in the load type or something on a higher end system. The customer had already put in some numbers and since I check the physical lights anyway, didnt bother.

7. Likes SDR-Mike liked this post
    its the wattage that won't allow you to select. Always put 50 watts minimum for a 6cl. Once you have the correct wattage it should adjust itself. Its kind of annoying. But I think they are just trying to make sure less experienced people order the right dimmers. I typically just select 1 fixture at 50 watts so I can select whichever dimmer I prefer.

I will start doing that myself. Thank you Taylor

hello,
    lutron need to virtually handiest have 2 systems; Homeworks and a combo of Caseta/RadioRa2. Homeworks is for seasoned's best and includes stressed and wi-fi answers which might be configured with a program that can do programming and superior scenes.

the other device makes use of the smart Bridge seasoned as the hub and lets you purchase the Caseta dimmers and accessories via massive box stores or you can buy the Maestro dimmers and add-ons through an authorized supplier. All devices are configured via the app (that is the way it works now for Caseta and this new RA2 pick out line).
    regards
    rajesh
    Last edited by rajeshraj; 05-19-2018 at 06:07 AM. Reason: additional imformation