Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Skylark CTFSQ-FH 3-way fan control causing flickering lights

Question Skylark CTFSQ-FH 3-way fan control causing flickering lights

Hello,

We installed a dimmer light control and the Lutron Skylark CTFSQ-FH 3-way fan control side-by-side in a double gang to control the light bulb brightness and fan speed for a single ceiling fan. Prior to installing the Skylark fan control, the dimmer control worked normally. After installing the fan control, the lights flicker when the fan speed is adjusted with the fan control. Our electrician suspected that the Skylark control was faulty and suggested purchasing a new one. However, I noted that we have LED bulbs installed. While the LED bulbs worked fine with the dimmer control alone, I am wondering if the fan control is somehow interfering with the LED dimming ability. This evening, we are going to install incandescent bulbs to see if this solves the flickering problem. Any other suggestions/advice?

Thanks!

Follow Up: Changing the light bulbs from LED to incandescent did not solve the problem. I am now wondering if the problem is that the inner side sections (metal tabs) were not removed prior to installation. The metal tabs are touching the the dimmer light control that had already been installed. What do you think? Thanks.

Follow Up #2: We removed the metal tabs that were touching the dimmer light control, but the lights are still flickering. Also, we purchased a brand new Lutron Skylark control according to the recommendation of our electrician, but the problem has not gone away.

Just as a reminder, the lights flicker whenever the fan speed is adjusted using the Lutron Skylark control. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
    Last edited by Dwood6; 05-05-2017 at 03:58 PM. Reason: to correct a misspelling

Administrator
    Hello Dwood6. It sounds like you have done a fair amount of troubleshooting already. The only thing I am wondering is if the fan itself has a module inside that does not allow it to work with 3rd party fan/light controls. If the fan has it's own remote, then that is a sure sign that our control will not work. If it doesn't, I would confirm with the manufacturer that you can use a 3rd party control.