Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Help me find a compatible downlight

Help me find a compatible downlight

I am looking for a downlight compatible with RR2 dimmers. The downlight specs I desire are: 4" Square, 700 lumens, 90 CRI, 3000K.

Every peddler of downlights will tell you that any given downlight is compatible. My understanding is that cannot be true and that it is much more difficult to find compatible led downlights. I do not have the RR2 system installed in order to test but I would like to purchase and install the lights.

Can anyone recommend a product?

I have a customer that used these on a WPM. If you don't have access to Inclusive, the RRD-10ND-xx would be the way to go.

http://www.lotusledlights.com/recess...-square-4-inch
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

I probably should have specified that I am looking for a retrofit type downlight.

I also think that 700 lumens does not exist with the specs I want, the max is 600-650.

Anybody?

Administrator
    Hello,

We would suggest using our LED product selection tool at www.lutron.com/ledtool to find a compatible downlight for our RadioRA 2 controls.

1. Under Fixture/Lamp Type, Select “Downlight”
    2. Under Lutron Control, select the RadioRA 2 dimmer you are using.
    3. You do not need to make any other selections, but you can select a preferred manufacturer to get a smaller list
    4. Click on the orange Search button
    5. The page will refresh, Scroll down
    6. A table will appear with a list of all the LED lights we have tested for your product
    7. In the third column of each row, there is a PDF link to a report card on each LED fixture

Selecting and interpreting the report card:
    1. If you would like to view the report card of a bulb, click on the orange PDF link in the third column of the table, under the Product Name heading.
    2. A new window will open, this is the Lutron Product Report Card.
    3. In the heading, you will see information about the bulb, including make and model number.
    4. Below this you will see a table. Buzzing results may be listed in the right hand column under “Comments”

Quote Originally Posted by Jai H. View Post
    Hello,

We would suggest using our LED product selection tool at www.lutron.com/ledtool to find a compatible downlight for our RadioRA 2 controls.

1. Under Fixture/Lamp Type, Select “Downlight”
    2. Under Lutron Control, select the RadioRA 2 dimmer you are using.
    3. You do not need to make any other selections, but you can select a preferred manufacturer to get a smaller list
    4. Click on the orange Search button
    5. The page will refresh, Scroll down
    6. A table will appear with a list of all the LED lights we have tested for your product
    7. In the third column of each row, there is a PDF link to a report card on each LED fixture

Selecting and interpreting the report card:
    1. If you would like to view the report card of a bulb, click on the orange PDF link in the third column of the table, under the Product Name heading.
    2. A new window will open, this is the Lutron Product Report Card.
    3. In the heading, you will see information about the bulb, including make and model number.
    4. Below this you will see a table. Buzzing results may be listed in the right hand column under “Comments”
    I appreciate the Lutron makes this tool but this tool still leaves the user with a ton of work to do.

For instance, after running the tool I have a huge list of products with no specs. In my case I am looking for 4" square downlights so I have to check the specs of all the results, one at a time, to see if any have the right format. And then there are different results for each dimmer even if they are all Radio Ra2. Does anyone use Radio Ra2 with the exact same dimmer in every location?

I am getting frustrated with Lutron for something they have no control over - how manufacturers design led lights. But at the very least Lutron should design dimmers within a product line to work the same so that if you have Radio Ra2 and have a compatible led, it will work with ALL Radio Ra2 dimmers. And maybe they should consider manufacturing some led lights that people can be sure will be compatible with their dimmers. The problem of course is that there appears to be some much variation in their dimmers that not even Lutron could make a led light that works with all their dimmers.

The reason that Lutron makes a variety of dimmers is precisely to accommodate the variety of LED lamp and fixture types. Unless you can get all the fixture vendors to agree on a single design, you cant have one dimmer type.

RadioRA 2 has about 6 dimmer types. Fixture vendors have hundreds of thousands of designs for their electronics. Lutron has worked with many vendors on making things dim better. The catch is that better dimming almost always has a higher build cost for the fixture vendor.
    Phil Scheetz
    Lighting Control Solutions
    pscheetz@lightingcontrolsolutions.com