Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Any hope? Dimmers dying in existing RadioRA system

Any hope? Dimmers dying in existing RadioRA system

We bought a home that has a small RadioRA setup: 10 light groups controlled by 10 dimmers (mostly mounted out of sight), which are operated by 10 buttons on two keypads (RALB-5W-XX) in the main living space. I believe there is no hub or repeater.

Recently, two of the dimmers have died (1 RA-5NE, 1 RA-6D). (I've verified the dimmers were the problem by wiring in a new dimmer and seeing the lights otherwise worked fine.)

My impression is that I'm stuck: replacement RadioRA dimmers are hard to get and it's not clear that I could "pair" a new dimmer with the keypad without the help of an installer. (Is that right?) New dimmers (RA2, Caseta, Maestro) all use ClearConnect which I think means they're not backwards compatible with the RA keypads (right?).

In addition, I want to swap out the ~40 halogen for LEDs and the old dimmers we have don't seem to play nice with low-load LEDs.

So it seems like I'll have to rip it all out and start over.

Is it true that if I bought replacement RadioRA dimmers off eBay, I would need to call in an installer to pair them with the keypads?

Am I right that newer dimmers (eg Maestro) cannot be paired with my existing RALK-5W keypads?

And that only RadioRA2 has equivalent keypads, so going to the affordable Caseta would mean punching more holes in the wall for 8 more switches?

Thanks for any input.

Pretty much correct on all points.

Lutron does offer a rebate of sorts (10% discount when old equipment returned) to customers who upgrade to the newer systems. Ra to Ra2 for example.

I would suggest contacting a local dealer, or the local rep that can connect you with a local dealer.
    Audio, Video, Networking, & Automation Designed Around You

Thanks for confirming, appreciate it!