Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW-RPM-4FSQ Compatibility

HW-RPM-4FSQ Compatibility

Hello,

I did a quick search and didn't find anything that really answered my questions. I am looking for recommendations / compatible fans for the HW-RPM-4FSQ. We've used the 2ANF in a lot of our designs before with good success but decided to try the HW-RPM-4FSQ. We are having a hard time finding a fan that would work well with the RPM.

One fan company said that the 3 speed fan would probably burn itself out because the speeds from the 4FSQ wouldn't align with it's internal speed settings. Has anyone experienced this before? I would prefer not to go with a HWD-2ANF if I can help it.

Just looking for anyone's thoughts/experiences with the 4FSQ. Thanks.

I don't have any first hand experience with the HW-RPM-4FSQ, but looking at the description of it, it looks to me like it works the same as a 2ANF wall box fan controller. 5 speed fan control (off, slow, medium, medium-fast, and fast). Leave the fan set on fast at the pull chain and away you go.
    Audio, Video, Networking, & Automation Designed Around You

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    I don't have any first hand experience with the HW-RPM-4FSQ, but looking at the description of it, it looks to me like it works the same as a 2ANF wall box fan controller. 5 speed fan control (off, slow, medium, medium-fast, and fast). Leave the fan set on fast at the pull chain and away you go.
    I use them all the time they work just fine. With that said there are a few things to take into consideration.

1 Many of todays fans come with but in controls for proprietary wall boxes. All of that needs to be ripped out.

2 In some cases the reverse feature of the fan is built into that control and there is no switch on the fan for reversing. You would wire the fan in the 1 direction you want it to spin.

3 If you are wiring the fan and fan light on the system that’s 2 different modules and depending on how your rpm modules are wired they might be on different neutrals. If you have just a 3-wire black red white then you will need both dimming and fan module on the same circuit If you have a 12-2-2 black white red white and modules are on different circuits you would need to run another neutral wire down the fan stem to the fan light.

4 If you are using Arc Fault breakers I would go with option 12-2-2 Just my 2 cents

For those who say you don't need a 12 wire please refrain we never use 14 gauge in our designs.

Mcignarella, do you have any particular fan model I could look at that you've used in the past?

1) We were only looking at fans that had pull chains to operate, no proprietary control wall boxes. We wanted to keep it simple.
    2) Most of the fans that we were looking at had a reverse pull chain, but it wouldn't be used due to height and location of the fan. It would be in one direction only, client is fine with this.
    3) We were only looking at fans with no lights. I understand if it had lights we'd have to pull two separate circuits.
    4) No Arc fault breakers were used for this circuit.

The biggest challenge, our go to fan company Fanimation that we use for the 2ANF said the four speed just wouldn't work. It would buzz/hum and probably burn itself out. Lutron's solution was not to use medium-fast in the programming. Not sure if this is a reliable solution.

We were looking at the AireDecor model

I don't see why the air decor would not work They offer a 2 wire Line Voltage control 3 speed

I would say there should be no issues with that

http://www.fanimation.com/products/i...-only-801.html

I'm really curious as to why Lutron made the 4FSQ 4 speeds and the 2ANF only three speeds. I know the 2ANF works well with most of the Fanimation fans because they are three speeds and that matches the controller... I really want to avoid any warranty items with the fan because of the 4th speed. The client fans are not going to be easy to access once the home is finished. I am just being overly cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by mcignarella View Post
    3 If you are wiring the fan and fan light on the system that’s 2 different modules and depending on how your rpm modules are wired they might be on different neutrals. If you have just a 3-wire black red white then you will need both dimming and fan module on the same circuit If you have a 12-2-2 black white red white and modules are on different circuits you would need to run another neutral wire down the fan stem to the fan light.
    with respect to this comment; for a very large system, I always try to configure my dimming RPMs (used by the fan light kits) and fan control RPMs in the same power panel for this very reason. I've always been surprised when I service systems where they were split between panels.

Quote Originally Posted by jkvossen View Post
    with respect to this comment; for a very large system, I always try to configure my dimming RPMs (used by the fan light kits) and fan control RPMs in the same power panel for this very reason. I've always been surprised when I service systems where they were split between panels.
    I agree I usually do the same but every situation is different there are installations with RPM panels that are pre-wired The HWBP-2S, HWAP-8D, HWBP-8D and PBK8 include factory-installed wiring from standard breakers to the terminal blocks. HWAP-8D power panels include commercial-grade combination Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI) breakers in place of the standard breakers. When getting involved with these you either rewire the fan or the panel.

Quick update - I made a small error in my earlier post. The 2ANF is a four speed fan controller. In our programming we always included a toggle for off / high and none of the other speeds. We've had really good experience with this and we'll be going with the Fanimation fan and using the same programming technique to try and avoid any issues with the medium-fast speed.

I can't help but wonder why most of the fans are three speeds and Lutron made their controllers four speeds + off.

Help

I’m replacing a Lutron skylark dimmer / fan controller that was controlling an Edison fan. I now have a MAQL-LQF in and I get very slow speeds 1-3 but 4 (top speed of control) is running the fan at proper high speed. I have the same set up in another room with the same issue . I set my pull chain to high speed prior to install and also set rotation. There are no advanced programming (fass) touching on fan speeds. It almost seems like the capacitor is interfering with this controller?!?! Do you have any ideas? I have read about other people encountering this same issue with this controller and also another model of Lutron fan control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast