Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are Caseta Serena Shades likely to have an upgrade path to a Radio RA2 type system?

I would love to get a bunch of Serena shades for my home, but I am already over the 50 device limit. I have 2 hubs maxed out and gave up on having 50 of the devices Alexa actionable. I refuse to buy a third hub and continue to hack around to get it to work right; Homekit, Homeseer aren't options for me due to the number of Alexas I have in the house.

Seems like without an upgrade path that doesn't require me to start from scratch, Lutron caps the amount they can sell to me and leaves money on the table. I am sure there are others in my boat.

Cheers, Andy

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    Triathlon shades are only through trained professionals. Try the finder on Lutron's website: http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Pages/Wh...Selection.aspx

- - - Updated - - -

Triathlon shades are only through trained professionals. Try the finder on Lutron's website: http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Pages/Wh...Selection.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by AndyWa View Post
    Seems like without an upgrade path that doesn't require me to start from scratch, Lutron caps the amount they can sell to me and leaves money on the table. I am sure there are others in my boat.
    Count me as in that boat. I get that they want to handicap Caseta in some way so they can sell it at a lower price than RA2 Select. But they really should have done so just by offering less selection of options at that price point, rather than putting an aritrary cap on how big your system can get.

What really frustrates me about what Lutron is doing is that they don’t clearly explain to the consumer that Caseta caps out, so if you like it you can’t expand it to your whole home switches / shades. They really should offer some way to pay them money to go past the 50-device limit (without hacks that half work)— at a price point less than the cost of ripping and replacing your entire 50-device Caseta investment. Maybe a more expensive RA2 Select hub that supports Caseta / Serena shades.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaGuy View Post
    Maybe a more expensive RA2 Select hub that supports Caseta / Serena shades.
    This exactly. SmartBridge Pro is the exact opposite of what they should've done. The buy-up bridge should be an RA2 Select bridge that also does Caseta.

Caseta and Serena were designed from the beginning to provide DIYers with Lutron quality components at lower prices. They were never intended to be whole home systems. Asking Caseta to manage a 100+ device system is like asking a Smart Car to pull a 50-foot boat. If you add the electronics to make Caseta do that you wind up with RR2.

On the surface, Serena and Triathlon look very similar. However, Triathlon can support wider windows, a much wider range of fabrics, heavier fabrics and increased demand from control systems like RR2 and HQS.

I'd love to see an upgrade path. I've been asking for one for 2 decades. However, upgrading from Caseta doesn't seem likely.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by julianm View Post
    The buy-up bridge should be an RA2 Select bridge that also does Caseta.
    This is unfortunately false. The RA2Select main does not allow for Caseta product. It uses RadioRA2 dimmers and switches with Picos.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    This is unfortunately false. The RA2Select main does not allow for Caseta product. It uses RadioRA2 dimmers and switches with Picos.
    I said *should* be, in an idealized world where Lutron provides an upgrade path, as a reply to CaliforniaGuy. The world we live in with Caseta today is certainly not ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by julianm View Post
    I said *should* be, in an idealized world where Lutron provides an upgrade path, as a reply to CaliforniaGuy. The world we live in with Caseta today is certainly not ideal.
    I've been saying that for 2 decades. Maybe if we get enough people to say it somebody might listen.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12