Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: LED Filament options?

LED Filament options?

Recently installed a new 12 bulb, e12 base fixture. Decided we wanted to add a dimmer while we were working on it, added a Maestro CL. (153, maybe? Don't have it in front of me). This is tied to a 3-way, standard switch on the other end.

Got everything wired up, get power back on, and the bulbs stay dim, regardless of the switch position on either end. No dimming / brightening. Powering the normal switch gives a very brief brightening (not to full, even), but then back to dim. If I swap out one bulb for a standard incandescent, it works perfectly, at either end.

Assuming that's not a sign of something being wired incorrectly, are there any LED filament style bulbs that are known to work(officially or otherwise) with an e12 base? I didn't see anything on the list, but I was hoping I just missed it.

Anything else I should be checking before I resign myself to buying different lights? My wife wants edison bulbs, but also the brighter color temperature we can get with LEDs, so I thought the filament style was a nice compromise between the two. If there's nothing like that available, I'll probably end up with incandescent again.

Thanks!

Administrator
    Hello thejon,

At this time we do not have any Edison/filament/vintage/nostalgic E12 LED products listed on any of our compatibility lists or tools. We have conducted testing on a variety of manufactures that offer these types of LEDs, however we are unable to recommend any of them due to unsatisfactory performance.

These types of LEDs are extremely challenging to dim without any misbehavior due to the fact that they do not have the traditional LED driver circuitry installed in the base of the bulb. The driver circuitry helps to filter the line and stabilized dimming performance, without this the bulbs can be influenced/interfered with by any additional line fluctuations.

For now, anybody that is locked into installing these types of LEDs and would like to dim must contact the LED manufacturer to determine which dimming controls they have tested and found to be compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jai H. View Post
    For now, anybody that is locked into installing these types of LEDs and would like to dim must contact the LED manufacturer to determine which dimming controls they have tested and found to be compatible.

Thanks, I assumed that was the case, just hoped perhaps the documents hadn't been updated yet. I'll probably switch to traditional bulbs for now, as the LED Mfg. never responded to my question about appropriate dimmers, and I'm within the return window for these.

Regards

I'm in a similar boat, 18 bulb, E12 base fixture connected to a Caseta PD-6WCL-WH. My wife really wants the filament style bulbs with half mirror.

How feasible would it be to put a device between the Caseta and the fixture to "convert" between the Caseta and bulbs circuitry?