Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Help regarding external IR receiver

Help regarding external IR receiver

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I am somewhat new to the world of Lutron and looking for some help regarding a system I have inherited following a house purchase in the UK.

To the best of my knowledge I have a Grafik Eye QS (QSG-6PCE-WH) unit (in my study) linked to a host of SeeTouch wallstations in various rooms to control lighting only. What I am trying to achieve is connecting an external IR receiver such that I can control the lights via remote in another room. I don't believe this GE QS supports wireless hence the plan to use IR.

The location of the GE unit does not easily lend itself to setting up some sort of IR repeater targeting the receiver on the front of the unit, so I am interested in whether I can connect an external IR receiver to the GE unit via the IR data and com terminals on the back. I have made a couple of attempts so far but with zero success and am struggling to find any literature or how-to guides anywhere else. Have I completely misunderstood the purpose of the IR connections on the back or should I be connecting up more that just the two IR connections to the receiver (eg does it need to draw power from somewhere else?).

Any help hugely appreciated!

Ta
    Snacker

Hello Snacker,
    Thank you for your post.
    The wired IR port on the back of the Grafik QS unit can handle voltages between 2.5v and 20v. The 2.5v minimum is necessary in order for the port to respond to IR commands. If the voltage exceeds 20v, there may be a risk of damaging internal components in the Grafik QS unit.

We also off an IR Eye that can be wired into the QS link anywhere. \
    http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...2004_26_10.pdf