Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Can I use an 8-ANS to simulate a momentary contact

Can I use an 8-ANS to simulate a momentary contact

Homeowner has a whole house ventilation system, runs continuously at low speed. When an occupant enters a bathroom, they hit a wireless switch, which kicks the fan up to a second speed for some specified period of time. The homeowner thinks the wireless switch is ugly and wants that function unified under the same switch plate with Lutron switches or keypads.

The air system needs a momentary contact to kick that fan up to its second speed.

Lutron doesn't make a momentary switch in the Designer / Claro series.

Can I use a -8ANS WITH NO LOAD ON IT, and program the Press On and Press Off to activate a QSE-I/O to activate a COO Pulsed?

Thanks

Why not just a button on a keypad?

The 8ANS has a 10-watt minimum load requirement. I have been able to activate them with no load. The HQS software does allow you to assign a CCO to the 8ANS. I have been able to use them as a 1-button keypad as you described in Illumination. The reliability is going to be the question. You will need good RF coverage or use a wired dimmer.

Another solution is to use an occupancy sensor. You can assign the CCO directly to the occupancy sensor.

Thanks for the replies. @thomod - unfortunately these rooms are off the system, local switches only, wired keypad out of the question. @randyc - I've got good RF coverage. The occ sensor is a great idea. The homeowner already rejected the appearance in another room, hopefully he'll go for it here, will save over $100 per location at list.