Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Radio RA works with Alexa...but now RF remote interference

Radio RA works with Alexa...but now RF remote interference

I have happily used my Radio RA classic system for years with an AMX system with the RS-232 controller. Not wanting to leave well enough alone and a tinkerer, I figured I could pickup a RA-IR box , connect it to my harmony hub and have Alexa control my lights. Good news is it works. Harmony and alexa control radio ra classic. The IR codes are in the Harmony database.

However something changed during programming...I never had issues with my directv RF remotes or my RF IR remote extenders but after I added the lutron IR controller to my repeater my RF remotes have gone haywire. Reduced range, multiple phantom button presses. I mean 3 receivers with multiple rf remotes. And it started after I added the IR controller. Now I did play with the toggle vs. Single action scene setting on the Lutron IR controller setup. However I did not purposely do anything else. Just link to repeater and programmed a few scenes.

Now since I can unplug the IR and rs232 controller and repeater and I still have the issue, it seems the interference is from the Light switches themselves?

Did I somehow change the frequency? Does adding the IR controller switch them to 2 way or something?

I think my RF extender runs at 433MHZ as does the DirecTV RF remotes I believe. I thought radiora was 418MHZ. Could it be the lutron programming I did?

Any help appreciated. I know it is an old aystem...but it still works. And I thought the Harmony and alexa integration was pretty cool but don't want this issue.

Thanks,
    BJBBJB

Sorry I could not edit post in time. I have verified it is my lutron system.

I don't know why I didn't think of this but I not only unplugged the repeater and 2 control boxes but turned each switch off. That stopped the interference with my remotes. And progressively stopped it as I turned them off...and it came back as I turned them on. So the question is what did I do to cause a change to the RF switch traffic or frequency by adding the RA-IR, activating it with my repeater, programming a few scenes on it, and playing with toggle?

And what changed how the switches behave? When they know they are talking to work controllers do they ramp up their Power?

Thanks for any help,
    BJBBJB

It is not possible to change the frequency. It is highly unlikely that the programming you did has any effect.

RA switches only broadcast for 6 seconds. If they are continuously broadcasting, something else is triggering it.

Did you happen to install any LEDs? Cheap drivers can emit noise that can drive electronics mad.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks. I changed out a lutron radio RA dimmer switch that was not working and the strange RF behavior ceased. It has been months and hopefully that doesn't happen again!

I was never informed of the RA upgrade program and it is over. But my integration of Alexa with a Harmony hub and a Lutron IR receiver has allowed me to extend the life of this gen 1 system,

BJBBJB

Radio Ra codes in Harmony Elite Database.

BJBBJBB,

In your post you indicate that the codes for the Radio Ra are in the Harmony database.

I have a client who has a first generation Radio Ra...what method did you use to program the Hub?

I was using an android tablet wireless connection for the other components of my system, but when I try home control...Lutron it takes me right to the Lutron log in the site.

Anyway...if you could lead me in the right direction for programming, I would be very appreciative. Thank you.

DougD,

I would be glad to help. You need to do all the programming of the Lutron RA-IR per the usual Lutron scene process. Note if you have a serial Lutron module, you still also need the IR one and have to program it from scratch.

Then I wired an IR blaster from the Harmony Hub to the RA-IR device.

Finally for the Harmony hub,I setup a new piece of equipment by searching the IR database for "Lutron RadioRA. Ignore the prompts that you can control the device over the network or something. You cannot, just IR. If you are having issues on the tablet Harmony software you can do the initial setup on the PC software. Thats how I did it and it symcs to the hub and tablet.

Once the equipment is setup, you can trigger IR codes for Lutron scenes via activities in the Harmony programming. Or just access the scenes from the equipmemt page.

There are some challenges with the Harmony on and off logic but you can work through that.

Hope that helps.

BJBBJB

Quote Originally Posted by BJBBJB View Post
    DougD,

I would be glad to help. You need to do all the programming of the Lutron RA-IR per the usual Lutron scene process. Note if you have a serial Lutron module, you still also need the IR one and have to program it from scratch.

Then I wired an IR blaster from the Harmony Hub to the RA-IR device.

Finally for the Harmony hub,I setup a new piece of equipment by searching the IR database for "Lutron RadioRA. Ignore the prompts that you can control the device over the network or something. You cannot, just IR. If you are having issues on the tablet Harmony software you can do the initial setup on the PC software. Thats how I did it and it symcs to the hub and tablet.

Once the equipment is setup, you can trigger IR codes for Lutron scenes via activities in the Harmony programming. Or just access the scenes from the equipmemt page.

There are some challenges with the Harmony on and off logic but you can work through that.

Hope that helps.

BJBBJB
    Hello,
    I am trying to buy Lutron RA-IR to do what you have done. However, I see online two things one is RA-IR and second is RA-IR-KIT.
    1.which one you used?
    2.does it need RS232 access or it simply communicate with repeaters via RF?
    3.Does IR support coexists with RF. I want to keep both and not rely on IR ( ALEXA OR GOOGLE)

Thanks

Hallelujah! This is the Solution I’ve been looking for. What all will the Harmony remote allow? Simply scene control or is it possible to directly trigger individual dimmers? How many scenes can it control? I suppose I could make one scene per switch.

And Homebridge will expose all of the Harmony Activities to HomeKit so hello Siri control! Awesome!