Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reliability when using Multiple Lutron Caseta Bridges

I am assuming the programming from RA2 is different from RA2 Select? The select from what I have been reading looks to be more inline with Caseta in terms of setup. I agree with @CaliforniaGuy, if I would have had an option, at the time I started out with Caseta I would have gone on to the RA2 Select. Heck it even looks like Caseta just on steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
    I am assuming the programming from RA2 is different from RA2 Select? The select from what I have been reading looks to be more inline with Caseta in terms of setup. I agree with @CaliforniaGuy, if I would have had an option, at the time I started out with Caseta I would have gone on to the RA2 Select. Heck it even looks like Caseta just on steroids.
    That is a fair assessment. More device types, auto population for the 4 button Picos, FAN control. I don't see why you would ever go Caseta, but there are certain populations that instinctively understand the Caseta aesthetic.

For those looking to get RA2Select at the local big box- I would not wait for this to happen soon. RA2Select and RA2 share dimmers and switches. RadioRA2 has always been and will always be at the professional distributors. I would expect to never see these at big box stores. If a DIY person wants RA2Select, there are plenty of distributors that will sell to the public.

Also- when was the last time you received any accurate or valuable information on a technical product from the mass merchants? BestBuy would be the leader here, but the rest are useless except for an EXTREMELY rare occasion that the individual actually wants to know the information. Head to your local AV or electrical distributor if you want RA2Select.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Again, Radio RA2 and "RA2 Select" are different things-- Radio RA2 has been around for years and is certainly targeted at pro installers. RA2 Select can be installed by homeowners or pros.

RA2 Select is very similar to Caseta:
    1) RA2Select uses the same app as Caseta.
    2) Like Caseta, it integrates with Alexa, Sonos, Apple HomeKit, Smartthings, Google Assistant, etc. (See http://www.lutron.com/en-US/pages/su...e=RA2%20Select )

However, RA2 Select fixes the major problems with Caseta for a DIY homeowner, assuming the homeowner hasn't bought any Caseta and can start from scratch:
    1) A RA2 Select system can scale up to 100 devices, not 50.
    2) Most importantly, RA2 Select has an upgrade path past the device limit, unlike Caseta. (RA2 Select can be reused as full RA2, I believe up to 200 devices).

4. Likes SDR-Mike liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
    Forgot to answer the initial question @rhett7660- Yes, programming is different. RadioRA2 is programmed via a laptop form a software received through training (live and local or through Lutron's LCI Online), while RA2Select is programmed entirely through the "Caseta" app. RA2Select is far quicker and easier to deploy, taking a mere fraction of the time for RadioRA2. Full RadioRA2 programming will always rely on the contractor programming it, with some changes allowed via the app. If you need a fairly "generic" or vanilla style of programming, then RA2Select will be perfect. For more granular control and specific needs, especially where dimmers and switches are hidden, then I would go with RadioRA2.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

6. Likes rhett7660 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    I would expect to never see these at big box stores. If a DIY person wants RA2Select, there are plenty of distributors that will sell to the public.
    I agree... there are a bunch of Lutron distributors online, but many don't have the RA2 parts too easily searchable-- certainly not in starter kits or anything. If you plan out the RA2 Select purchase with part numbers from Lutron's website and then give them to the distributor directly that seems to work.

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    For those looking to get RA2Select at the local big box- I would not wait for this to happen soon.
    ...which is why it's particularly strange to me why they only put Caseta with no mention of RA2 Select in the big box stores given its limitations. The users that like Caseta most will then buy more dimmers, or Serena Shades, or whatever else, and ONLY THEN get frustrated that the product is hamstrung at 50 devices. At a minimum, they need to make it much clearer in all Caseta purchasing channels that if you need an expandable system, to buy RA2 Select instead. But, honestly, the whole DIY effort would be way more successful if they put the DIY marketing/support behind Caseta into RA2 Select.

8. Likes rhett7660 liked this post
    Thanks that is what I expected. No comes the time to see what I want to do and if in fact Lutron has absolutely no plans on allowing folks to upgrade. This might be the turning point. Lots already invested in the Caseta system and this just sucks there is no path to upgrade to. I wonder if they can work side by side with each other?

RA2 Select does use many RR2 parts

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaGuy View Post
    Again, Radio RA2 and "RA2 Select" are different things-- Radio RA2 has been around for years and is certainly targeted at pro installers. RA2 Select can be installed by homeowners or pros.

RA2 Select is very similar to Caseta:
    1) RA2Select uses the same app as Caseta.
    2) Like Caseta, it integrates with Alexa, Sonos, Apple HomeKit, Smartthings, Google Assistant, etc. (See http://www.lutron.com/en-US/pages/su...e=RA2%20Select )

However, RA2 Select fixes the major problems with Caseta for a DIY homeowner, assuming the homeowner hasn't bought any Caseta and can start from scratch:
    1) A RA2 Select system can scale up to 100 devices, not 50.
    2) Most importantly, RA2 Select has an upgrade path past the device limit, unlike Caseta. (RA2 Select can be reused as full RA2, I believe up to 200 devices).
    RR2 Select does use mostly RR2 devices. You would be able to use the dimmers, switches, shades and Pico remotes (reprogramming required).

The RR2 bridge does not have as many integration options. It does have a robust integration protocol designed to work with high-end systems like Savant and Crestron.

Lutron cleverly lists Caseta as a "room control" system. Some of us will always push the limits and make it into a whole-home control system.

FWIW, limits will almost always be an issue. More devices are becoming available. Unless you go with a full HomeWorks system, you are going to run into those limits.

You can have multiple systems in the same house.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    RR2 Select does use mostly RR2 devices. You would be able to use the dimmers, switches, shades and Pico remotes (reprogramming required).

The RR2 bridge does not have as many integration options. It does have a robust integration protocol designed to work with high-end systems like Savant and Crestron.

Lutron cleverly lists Caseta as a "room control" system. Some of us will always push the limits and make it into a whole-home control system.

FWIW, limits will almost always be an issue. More devices are becoming available. Unless you go with a full HomeWorks system, you are going to run into those limits.

You can have multiple systems in the same house.
    I noticed this also. I don't remember seeing this before, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. I just don't remember seeing it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12