Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can't get Lutron Shades to Open With Echo

Can't get Lutron Shades to Open With Echo

I have Lutron Shades with a Caséta Bridge. I set up my Echo yesterday, downloaded the app, connected it to the Lutron app and it works fine when I tell Alexa to close the shades. Actually the command is "Watch TV" which I previously set up in my Lutron App. When I say the commend, Echo closes the shades. But the Echo will not open the shades no matter what I do. I even tried changing the action called "Watching TV" to the open action in the Lutron app and re-searching for skills in Echo. When I use the same command to open instead of close the shades it still does not work. Alexa responds "I'm not quite sure how to help you with that." I cannot fathom why it works to close them but not to open them. I have tried changing the commend over and over so I thing Alexa is getting what I am saying. It just can't seem to do it. Any help appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by foresite View Post
    I have Lutron Shades with a Caséta Bridge. I set up my Echo yesterday, downloaded the app, connected it to the Lutron app and it works fine when I tell Alexa to close the shades. Actually the command is "Watch TV" which I previously set up in my Lutron App. When I say the commend, Echo closes the shades. But the Echo will not open the shades no matter what I do. I even tried changing the action called "Watching TV" to the open action in the Lutron app and re-searching for skills in Echo. When I use the same command to open instead of close the shades it still does not work. Alexa responds "I'm not quite sure how to help you with that." I cannot fathom why it works to close them but not to open them. I have tried changing the commend over and over so I thing Alexa is getting what I am saying. It just can't seem to do it. Any help appreciated.

Just installed my first Serena shade today. Seems that the Alexa integration does not have direct device control like it does with lights, but only scene control (like SONOS). Perhaps Lutron support can weigh in.
    So I set up 2 Caseta scenes and had Alexa do Discover Devices :
    1) Bedroom Shades open
    2)Bedroom shades closed.
    To invoke the action I say "Alex Turn on *scene name*. so even for the closed scene I have to say "Turn on Bedroom shades closed".
    so voice works works as long as I use the "Turn On" command for the open and closed scene. Essentially telling Alexa to invoke a scene, regardless of shade state. Which means I cannot tell it to open shades 30% - unless I create preset scenes with partial openings.

If anyone has a simpler way I am all ears.
    Last edited by Blurum; 03-27-2017 at 09:32 PM. Reason: typo

3. Thanks foresite thanked for this post
    Yes. That's what it is. I did not realize that I had to say "Turn On" first. I just kept saying "Open Shades" which was my scene name. When I say "Turn On Open Shades" is works. Thanks that did it.