Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Best place to order devices and repeaters?

Best place to order devices and repeaters?

I finished the Level I training a few years ago and never had a client that was interested enough in automation to actually pursue a purchase...until now.

How do I go about ordering everything? Must it be done through distributors (D/FW area in Texas)? Or, is there a more direct way to order (with engravings) directly from Lutron? Or, an online distributor? Or, something else I'm not thinking of.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Do you have a business established with a registered name/insurance etc? Then go to your local electrical distributors that carry lutron products and open an account there and work out pricing terms. You might find stuff online here http://www.lutron.com/en-US/general/...n=Results-page

But I don't know how warranty goes on these items and your going to pay top dollar and not make anything selling the system to a client this way.

3. Thanks SDR-Mike thanked for this post
    Likes SDR-Mike liked this post
    This is frustrating. Seems the Level I training may give you access to software in order to design and install a system, but not enough to actually make money off the sale of the components. All I can find is retail pricing. Went to an electrical distributor this morning and the account manager looked at me funny when I asked about RadioRa2. He couldn't find any of the RR2 model numbers in their system even though they carry an array of other Lutron products.

Tried your zip in lutron distributors http://www.lutron.com/en-us/pages/WT...=116&ZIP=75001

Just call them at the customer support and ask for a local distributor in your area. They will help you out

6. Likes SDR-Mike liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholass817 View Post
    This is frustrating. Seems the Level I training may give you access to software in order to design and install a system, but not enough to actually make money off the sale of the components. All I can find is retail pricing. Went to an electrical distributor this morning and the account manager looked at me funny when I asked about RadioRa2. He couldn't find any of the RR2 model numbers in their system even though they carry an array of other Lutron products.
    There is an IMAP in place. Authorized dealers cannot advertise pricing other than List. Exceptions exist for short time sales. Buying from Amazon or Ebay means a non-authorized distributor. This protects those who have made the commitment to the product line. These distributors should have a Lutron Champion who knows the product and can assist you with questions. They should also be actively trying to develop new installer/programmers. Find a stocking distributor (Residential Systems Distributor) and start the dialog. dvpvic has the link above this post.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

To be honest, you have to buy A LOT of Lutron stuff to get any meaningful discount and you need to buy much more than that to be a direct dealer. We don't do many of new jobs a year so we're always at the mercy of our lighting supplier who gives us slightly better price than amazon and our electrical supplier is pretty much clueless about any Lutron product that's not a sliding dimmer so if we do order through them, we have to be 100% sure what we're getting and there are no refunds or in stock items in case we missed one room or something.

That's just the nature of Lutron. There are many hands along the distribution channel and every hand takes their part. There is Lutron, the local rep, and then your supplier. The best case is if you sell hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of product so you can deal with the rep directly yourself.

Purchasing RadioRa

Quote Originally Posted by nicholass817 View Post
    I finished the Level I training a few years ago and never had a client that was interested enough in automation to actually pursue a purchase...until now.

How do I go about ordering everything? Must it be done through distributors (D/FW area in Texas)? Or, is there a more direct way to order (with engravings) directly from Lutron? Or, an online distributor? Or, something else I'm not thinking of.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    I have an account with AVAD and have found that they stock many more RadioRa devices than my local distributor with better pricing and knowledge too.

Don't even get me started on engraving... Fortunately Ra2 still comes with the golden engraving tickets. For QS, if you get your keypads from a supplier (instead of direct), you have no way to order the engraving ahead if time which is the recommended way for the Palladium (sp) style keypads as engraving is quite expensive after the fact. Even with seetouch keypads you have to give the PO number so they can check to make sure you bought them, but it's not the PO between you and your supplier, it's the PO between the rep and the supplier. The one extra middle man in the chain really gets annoying at times . The only good part is that sometimes, the supplier hooks you up with an install for a system they sold.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    Don't even get me started on engraving... Fortunately Ra2 still comes with the golden engraving tickets. For QS, if you get your keypads from a supplier (instead of direct), you have no way to order the engraving ahead if time which is the recommended way for the Palladium (sp) style keypads as engraving is quite expensive after the fact. Even with seetouch keypads you have to give the PO number so they can check to make sure you bought them, but it's not the PO between you and your supplier, it's the PO between the rep and the supplier. The one extra middle man in the chain really gets annoying at times . The only good part is that sometimes, the supplier hooks you up with an install for a system they sold.
    You need a better supplier. They should know that info and be proactively helping you. What you have is an order taker.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

12. Likes dvpvic liked this post