Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Verdict on v11.0 - safe to install?

Verdict on v11.0 - safe to install?

Seen a few problem reports posted here... do people feel 11.0 is stable and safe to install at this point? How many simple/successful installs out there?

Thanks,

I updated 2 systems. One had a weird issue with one system but it disappeared without further issue and hasn't happened since. I am not updating any other systems until I have installed the new HomeKit bridge.
    RadioRa2 PSP Level 2 Platiunum
    RaSelect Pro Installer
    Caseta "Pro" Installer
    My Systems:
    RadioRa2 with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.
    Caseta with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.

I have had a fair bit of trouble with the PC side of the app. It just doesn't seem to be stable. The PC's running Windows 7 x64. The latest rev seems to keep having trouble finding the repeaters, or randomly hanging when doing transfers. This on a network setup where the PC and the repeaters are, literally, wired into the same Ethernet network switch (as is has been for all past versions too). So nothing's changing on the network, leading me to question what v11 has done networking-wise to introduce these new problems.

Just yesterday I added an 8ANS to the system. Opened the last rev of the project, saved to a new file, added the new switch (to an existing room), saved and did tried to Activate. No go, one repeater beeped and then beeped again within a few seconds. Got the error dialog about not finding repeaters. Had to quit the program. Reloading it and tried to find the repeaters. Took a while (like 2 minutes) and one repeater came back as being in Safe mode. No idea why. Powered off that repeater, waited and powered it back up again. Refresh brought up the repeaters again. Tried Activating again... no joy. Punted and did a triple-tap reset on the new-out-of-box 8ANS. Activate finally found it. Saved the project. Did a Transfer... waited... quite a few known good and nearby devices didn't transfer (wtf?). Quit the program, powered off both repeaters, waited, powered them back up again and reloaded the software and project. Transfer worked again (note, no power change to the devices themselves). Left the PC for the night... come back this morning and the program is entirely unresponsive. Had to use the Task Manager to quit the .exe.

So, yeah, something's 'not right' about version 11. What that 'something' is raises questions I'd prefer not to waste time debugging for answers.

So far I haven't seen any issues. And I run it on Win8. Had repeater find issues but that was because I was on wifi, (like always, firewall off) with static IP.

Quote Originally Posted by dvpvic View Post
    So far I haven't seen any issues. And I run it on Win8. Had repeater find issues but that was because I was on wifi, (like always, firewall off) with static IP.
    All my automation gear is always wired and using static addresses, ones set up outside of the DHCP lease range. So nothing will ever overlap/conflict. That and I'm not running any kind of internal routing or subnetting that would interfere with multicast traffic. Frankly, multicast is a trainwreck. Far too many systems just plain get it wrong. It's a mis-guided attempt to be "friendly" by avoiding network setup details. But for infrastructure devices like these you really don't want or need dynamic features. You want stability and predictability, not random voodoo induced by multicast failures.

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    All my automation gear is always wired and using static addresses, ones set up outside of the DHCP lease range. So nothing will ever overlap/conflict. That and I'm not running any kind of internal routing or subnetting that would interfere with multicast traffic. Frankly, multicast is a trainwreck. Far too many systems just plain get it wrong. It's a mis-guided attempt to be "friendly" by avoiding network setup details. But for infrastructure devices like these you really don't want or need dynamic features. You want stability and predictability, not random voodoo induced by multicast failures.
    I have complained about this before but the single biggest issue I have with Ra2 and QS is multicast finding the processor on the local network. Often that "local network" is just my temporary router which is as simple as it gets and even then with the firewall turned off, DHCP doesn't work and I have to resort to direct wire to the PC and static IP. On an existing house with an existing network of which I know nothing about, it's a complete nightmare because they would have to find the guy who did the network 5 years ago, ask him what address is outside of DHCP and isn't currently being used, etc.

I think the easiest way to avoid all this is to have a tiny LCD screen on the already processor so we can just set it manually to DHCP and see what's assigned to it or punch in the static IP address. It works great for printers and other home automation systems. Even if it adds an extra $4 to the cost of the processor it avoids hours of frustration with multicast.

I spoke to soon. This weekend was a disaster on an system update/upgrade...

Lol sorry, we've all been there! Just gotta brush it off, get some sleep, and call tech support in the morning when the A team is back on the job. After my worst disaster early in ra2 where the two main repeaters somehow became orphaned and nothing worked, and we had to turn the breakers off so the homeowners could sleep (remote switches), I called tech support at 3 am after having nightmares of the previous day and he was nice enough to take the report for the morning team.