Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Recommendation for 4-inch recessed light solution?

Recommendation for 4-inch recessed light solution?

Can anyone recommend a 4-inch recessed light system that works with the Lutron Caseta PD-6WCL dimmer without buzzing? I have looked at the compatibility list and have some things I'm going to try, but if anyone has already worked this out and would like to share their experience I would be most appreciative. In particular I'd like a 3000K light, 90 CRI, or 2700K, that doesn't buzz! Integrated all-in-one or can and trim kit, 4 lights per switch.

I've already installed Envirolite EV407941WH30 from Amazon but they buzz even though the manufacturer specifies that it is compatible with the PD-6WCL. So that's why I hope someone on this forum has installed something that they know works with this dimmer and doesn't buzz.

FYI what I'm going to try next per Lutron's compatibility list: Eaton (Halo?) RL460WH930.

In case anybody else is wondering about this, I found that CREE 55w-equiv downlights (2700K) from HD worked the best of the few that I tested. Virtually no sound at all. On the downside, they don't dim nearly as low as the Envirolites do (those got pretty low!). And the pricey Eaton/Halo trim kit ($30 at HD) that came up with the Lutron's compatibility tool buzzed as loudly as the Envirolites.

The best thing to do, I think, is just test in situ until you find a combo that works. (I tested the Cree last because someone on the HD website said in his review that they buzzed with this particular dimmer. Go figure.)

Quote Originally Posted by Data Junkie View Post
    In case anybody else is wondering about this, I found that CREE 55w-equiv downlights (2700K) from HD worked the best of the few that I tested. Virtually no sound at all. On the downside, they don't dim nearly as low as the Envirolites do (those got pretty low!). And the pricey Eaton/Halo trim kit ($30 at HD) that came up with the Lutron's compatibility tool buzzed as loudly as the Envirolites.

The best thing to do, I think, is just test in situ until you find a combo that works. (I tested the Cree last because someone on the HD website said in his review that they buzzed with this particular dimmer. Go figure.)
    Up vote for the Cree trims from HD. I have been using the 6" version for about 7 years or so. The 4" version since they hit the market (4-5 years maybe). Never had issues with either on any Lutron CL dimmer. I think the low end is better on radiora dimmers than caseta. But I haven't ever gotten complaints. I am pretty sure we usually tweak the low end trim but it's been a few months since my last install for Caseta and Cree 4".
    RadioRa2 PSP Level 2 Platiunum
    RaSelect Pro Installer
    Caseta "Pro" Installer
    My Systems:
    RadioRa2 with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.
    Caseta with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.

Philips Warm Glow from Home Depot - they have sizing for 4,5, and 6 inch cans. They do not buzz, 2200 to 2700 when dimmed from low to bright. For me the nice things about these lights are that the bulb sits very low to the bottom of the trim, so it hits higher up on the wall than the CREE lights I replaced. Second - they dim very low with no flickering. I upgraded to a recent model of the CREE a few months ago from the CREE LED's that were 5 years old. The new CREE lights buzzed horrible but had better light, the old ones did not buzz but the light quality was not as good. Philips has solved this issue with very high quality light, warmness increases as the light is dimmed, and there is absolutely no buzz.