Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to start? bought house with full lutron system that is now obsolete

That is a HomeWorks Interactive RF only processor.
    That sounds like a 3000 series Grafik Eye. Look for a GRX-3100 or a GRX-MR3 (same unit, different model number)
    Unfortunately, that processor does not have an Ethernet connection. I have seen some Ethernet to RS232 devices. It's just a matter of finding one you are comfortable with or can find someone to program.
    If you have the software you can print a bill of materials. The software is only available to dealers. If you call Lutron they might give you a copy since it is 3 or 4 generations old.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Looking for an update

I also just purchased a house in upstate NY with a Lutron lighting system, but mine is pre-1995 and isn’t WiFi compatible. I found someone who can upgrade it but the price quote was unbelievable. The house is tiny and there are lights everywhere. The buzzing from the lights is maddening.
    We are thinking just to hardwired most of them and remove the system all together.
    I found your post and am wondering what you ended up doing? Can you offer any guidance?

Old Lutron system

I am in thr same boat with a system likely put in 1996. While it mostly works, noone knows how to upgrade with modern components or hib

lutron's website should help you locate a dealer or servicer that can help you understand what type of system you have and what would be required to update it.

http://www.lutron.com/en-us/Pages/WT...buy.aspx?AID=1

I am in FL. I have a HW 8 which I'd like to get help with. Are you available to work remotely on this? I would like to re-do my settings.

Quote Originally Posted by mike9356 View Post
    I am in FL. I have a HW 8 which I'd like to get help with. Are you available to work remotely on this? I would like to re-do my settings.
    If you have a HW-MA8 it uses a DOS based GUI that won't run on anything past WIN98, maybe Windows 2000. I used to keep an old laptop just for that program but it died and I can't find one to replace it. Screen share programs probably won't run under WIN98/2K.

If you have a Series 8 (H8P5-xxx), it supports Ethernet so there is a good chance it can be accessed remotely or through a PC on site running a screen share like Team Viewer.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I stumbled on this thread because well, I was bored. I would like to point out that this is a cautionary tale of sorts - not just with Lutron but with all dealer based proprietary systems. There is going to come a time when the original homeowner dies, sells the house, etc. and the new owner who wasn't sure what a "lighting system" is gets the house and then gets a nasty surprise like this so it's something buyers should be aware of, ESPECIALLY if they live in a rural area. It's one thing to live in a major city with a lot of different dealers around - I mean it won't be fun but at least you could spend a bunch of money and update your system. Living in a rural area and having no dealer around is a recipe for frustration and a lot of money spent so in my opinion, if you're going to design a system out in the middle of nowhere, you might want recommend a more standard design (RF switches or closely located wall mount modules) as opposed to panels. That way if something happens to the system, at least they can turn on the lights by the time it takes them to find a dealer or even just get a different system.

At least with Lutron, you know they're going to be around for a while, they have more dealers, and will have an upgrade path for you...well, hopefully they're still like that with QSX, but I digress. I used to have a customer who had a Vantage system out in a farm house somewhere an hour and a half outside of the city and whoever sold them their system made it extra "job security" and integrated it with two different styles of shades - ESI (using serial commands) and relays which were hidden away in the attic somewhere(I never did find it)...I used to go there to fix the system now and then and was the only one willing to go do it but we were no longer a dealer (not my choice..) and so that house lost the one and only dealer willing to go there. I really don't know what those people would do if their house was hit by lightning and their processor got smoked.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12