Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-second Telnet Login Delay?

I agree, and yes, from what I read, it is the stealthy behavior of Windows Firewall that drags things out.

Rather than document the IDENT stuff, I would like for Lutron to remove the IDENT request altogether. I only know of IDENT what I read on Wikipedia, but it seems like it is an obsolete and insecure protocol that no one would dare to use today. So, Lutron, why keep it?

I guess, however, that Lutron's integration audience is third-party alliance members (i.e. $$$) who are using microcontrollers or microcomputers, which generally don't have a firewall, to interface with the SBP, and so they probably aren't aware of this trait/issue/bug or frankly, don't really care. On the bright side, this has forced me to look beyond Microsoft and learn the Raspberry Pi (which doesn't have a firewall and begets an instant response from the SBP) and Python programming.

Quote Originally Posted by cgalvan21 View Post
    I guess, however, that Lutron's integration audience is third-party alliance members (i.e. $$$) who are using microcontrollers or microcomputers, which generally don't have a firewall, to interface with the SBP, and so they probably aren't aware of this trait/issue/bug or frankly, don't really care. On the bright side, this has forced me to look beyond Microsoft and learn the Raspberry Pi (which doesn't have a firewall and begets an instant response from the SBP) and Python programming.
    The justification cannot be to abandon using a firewall as an alternative. If anything, more security is better.

IDENT had potential, back in the Novell Netware days, but has long since fallen out of favor. It's indeed odd to see it implemented on something new.

pardon my ignorance, but why would anyone want to telnet into a SBP?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12