Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with setting automatic on and off times for front door light

Lutron Technical Support
    Yes, that is the only way to do it. Each schedule requires its own name.

Each event is independent so each requires its own name. You could have lights A & B come on at sunset, then have A go off at midnight, then B go off at sunrise. This would be 3 separate events.

You could also have B & C go off at sunrise even though C wasn't part of a timer. I do this to make sure all the outside lights are off at sunrise.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Event based programs

I have 2 schedules set up for the outside lights - one to turn the lights on at sunset, the other to turn them off at sunrise. That works fine.

What I'd like to add is something like: if the switch is manually turned off between sunset and sunrise (i.e. someone turned the lights off when it's dark out), have the system turn the lights back on automatically. Vice versa during the day. I could just put several fixed schedules (turn the lights on at 10 PM, again at midnight, again at 2 AM, and so on, which would at least ensure the lights are on part of the night). However, what would be ideal is for the system to listen for a push button event on the switch. When it receives the event, it should evaluate if the lights should be on or off based on the time of day, and ensure the light state is correct.

Any ideas? I'm totally new to Lutron, and I'm having trouble finding programming references on-line.

if you have a "scene" and a "schedule" which one has the override?

If I have the lights set on a schedule to go on at sunset and off at sunrise, but then hit "good night" and they turn on prior to sunset, will the schedule to turn off still work? Also, what happens if you have a schedule in both HomeKit and Lutron app, which one has priority?

There is no priority. Each action takes place when it is triggered regardless of how it was triggered (by a scene or schedule) or the previous state of the devices.

I haven't used Homekit so don't know if it can include any such conditionals. The Lutron app can not.

Quote Originally Posted by pivers View Post
    I have 2 schedules set up for the outside lights - one to turn the lights on at sunset, the other to turn them off at sunrise. That works fine.

What I'd like to add is something like: if the switch is manually turned off between sunset and sunrise (i.e. someone turned the lights off when it's dark out), have the system turn the lights back on automatically. Vice versa during the day. I could just put several fixed schedules (turn the lights on at 10 PM, again at midnight, again at 2 AM, and so on, which would at least ensure the lights are on part of the night). However, what would be ideal is for the system to listen for a push button event on the switch. When it receives the event, it should evaluate if the lights should be on or off based on the time of day, and ensure the light state is correct.

Any ideas? I'm totally new to Lutron, and I'm having trouble finding programming references on-line.
    Since the trigger is the local dimmer, you would need to add conditional programming to the dimmer. Plus you are going to have to do it for every dimmer that controls a light assigned to the timer.

I don't think the owner will be happy with it though. They will forget that the dimmer has conditional programming and call you saying, "it doesn't work." I can see too many exceptions - they want to turn the lights on during the day to change bulbs, they want to turn them off early, they want to turn them off because they want to sit on the porch, etc.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12