I have upgraded the firmware on my main repeater to 10.7. I had these same issues on 10.6, this is when I realized the below. Any ideas on what is happening here?
I can connect to the repeater with no issues via the RadioRA2 essentials software. I can telnet to the IP address with no problem. But that is it. When I try to go to the IP address via a web browser the connection times out and fails. When I try to open the iphone app Lutron Home+ my setup is not discovered, so I type in the details manually and it says "Downloading system configuration..." then I get an error message "Could not download system configuration. Please contact they system installer". I have also tried a new app, HomeSense, and when I try to Add System my RadioRA2 system shows up under the "Auto Discovered" area..however when I choose it, it says updating, then fails with "Update Error..unable to update the system information". I have tried the apps with the lutron/lutron and lutron/integration login information. This is not a new system, I have had it since 2010 and performed many updates on it. The repeater has a static IP, and it is the same IP it has had for years. I verified that the box is not checked in the advanced screen to only allow traffic from local lan...and I have tried with the box checked. Lastly I can of course ping the IP as the essentials software can connect, activate and transfer.