Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Device firmware

Device firmware

I see that there appears to be firmware files for the various dimmers, etc, included in the RA2 installation folder. Does the system automatically update device firmware when uploading programming and/or in which case are these files used?

thanks!

No, the software does not update the device firmware. I my discussions with some of the engineers, there is no way to update this firmware.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    No, the software does not update the device firmware. I my discussions with some of the engineers, there is no way to update this firmware.
    Thanks. One wonders why they distribute the firmware images with the software if this is the case? These files definitely are images for the various devices.

lutron designer (hwqs) similarly has images for its devices distributed with that software as well.

It would seem something must make use of this...

I have seen something that would make use of this. I friend of mine at the mothership did confirm that something at one time existed, but had a nasty habit of "bricking" devices and taking an eternity to run. Like 4 days to update 20 devices, with a failure rate of over 50%. Not a useful tool at all.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    I have seen something that would make use of this. I friend of mine at the mothership did confirm that something at one time existed, but had a nasty habit of "bricking" devices and taking an eternity to run. Like 4 days to update 20 devices, with a failure rate of over 50%. Not a useful tool at all.
    Gotcha, that would make sense. And I bet it would be very slow.

But, if the case, I wonder why they still include the files in the latest (i.e. 10.7) installs? Designer is also like this. I'd think they'd have pulled the firmware from the distributions if the feature was deprecated or otherwise unused.

Perhaps someone from Lutron in blue can provide some insight?