Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Wiring Question - Replacing a Toggle Switch with a RRD-8ANS-SW switch

Wiring Question - Replacing a Toggle Switch with a RRD-8ANS-SW switch

Hello,

I am replacing a toggle switch with a RRD-8ANS-SW switch. Can someone help me in wiring based on my current toggle switch. I have posted a photo of the wiring for the toggle switch. I need detail instructions as far as the mapping of the wires from the toggle switch to the RadioRa 2 switch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0745.JPG   IMG_0744.JPG   IMG_0743.JPG  

Here is my understanding of the wiring...

Toggle Switch Hot/Common Wire -> Lutron Switch Black Terminal
    Toggle Switch Load/Traveler Wire -> Lutron Switch Brass Terminal
    Toggle Switch Ground/Bare Wire -> Lutron Switch Green Wire
    Lutron Switch Silver Terminal -> White Neutral Wires in Box
    Lutron Switch Blue Wire -> not used since this is a single pole switch

The hot/common wire on the existing toggle switch is the bottom terminal with the 2 black wires connected.

The load/traveler wire on the existing toggle switch is the top terminal with the 1 black wire connected.

Please confirm that is how the wires should be connected.

Quote Originally Posted by pglover19 View Post
    Here is my understanding of the wiring...

Toggle Switch Hot/Common Wire -> Lutron Switch Black Terminal
    Toggle Switch Load/Traveler Wire -> Lutron Switch Brass Terminal
    Toggle Switch Ground/Bare Wire -> Lutron Switch Green Wire
    Lutron Switch Silver Terminal -> White Neutral Wires in Box
    Lutron Switch Blue Wire -> not used since this is a single pole switch

The hot/common wire on the existing toggle switch is the bottom terminal with the 2 black wires connected.

The load/traveler wire on the existing toggle switch is the top terminal with the 1 black wire connected.

Please confirm that is how the wires should be connected.
    That is correct. You will have to pigtail a neutral wire out from the neutrals. The 2 wires under one terminal is a code violation fix that. Thats a power in /power out that should've been pigtailed out to the switch. Pigtail the power legs out to the lutron switch. I advise in putting the solid wires under the dimmer terminals and tighten them down (the stab ins are prone to failure, especially if the strip gauge is ignored) Better yet hire an electrician if you dont know what your doing...

Quote Originally Posted by dvpvic View Post
    That is correct. You will have to pigtail a neutral wire out from the neutrals. The 2 wires under one terminal is a code violation fix that. Thats a power in /power out that should've been pigtailed out to the switch. Pigtail the power legs out to the lutron switch. I advise in putting the solid wires under the dimmer terminals and tighten them down (the stab ins are prone to failure, especially if the strip gauge is ignored) Better yet hire an electrician if you dont know what your doing...
    I will get an electrician to come by.. In the meantime I still would like to educate myself.

I am still confused on the 1 black traveler and 2 black power in/out wires.

Here is my understanding of what you are telling me.

Traveler Wire - This is the 1 black wire at the top of the existing toggle switch. From the lutron switch brass terminal, pigtail out to the traveler wire.

Power In/Power Out Wire - This is the 2 black wires at the bottom of the existing toggle switch. From the lutron switch black terminal, pigtail out to the 2 black wires (power in/out).

The traveler wire should not be connected to the power in/out (2 black wires) at all.

Got everything wired and programmed in then Lutron Essentials software and now the occupancy/vacancy sensor (LRF2-ocr2b-p) is controlling the RRD-8ANS-SW switch to perfection. Now I am ready to add dimmers, keypads, etc. to my system. This is an awesome system so far.

6. Likes Blair S. liked this post
    OK, I have to bring this thread back since this is halfway to my scenario. We have a three-way toggle switch that we want to replace with a RRD-8ANS and a RD-RS and use a vacancy/occupancy sensor to control. It's a mudroom and a retrofit, can we do this without pulling new wire? Not sure how to handle the traveler wire if we don't have that.