Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Connect Bridge Activation HWQS

Just went thru this issue today. I had a difficult time today activating a Connect Bridge in QS 14.5. Initially tried remotely via VPN and no luck. I could see both HQP6 processors no problem. Connect bridge was pingable on the network. Then I teamviewered into a technicians laptop that was wired into the network there and still could not find the Bridge in the activation page. Finally I had him plug the Bridge directly into processor instead of the network switch (same switch the processor was on), and magically I could now see the bridge from My laptop remotely as well as his locally!! Why is this so difficult?? Can we fix this Lutron??? Support chat guy told me it could be "perhaps something involve ip multicast or igmp snooping these settings are going to be unique to the networking equipment being used". This is ridiculous that in 2019 I cant have multicast enabled on my enterprise grade switches and expect a Connect Bridge to work. I'm surprised he didnt ask me to turn off my firewall... Why is Lutron's ethernet requirements stuck in the stone age?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmax View Post
    Just went thru this issue today. I had a difficult time today activating a Connect Bridge in QS 14.5. Initially tried remotely via VPN and no luck. I could see both HQP6 processors no problem. Connect bridge was pingable on the network. Then I teamviewered into a technicians laptop that was wired into the network there and still could not find the Bridge in the activation page. Finally I had him plug the Bridge directly into processor instead of the network switch (same switch the processor was on), and magically I could now see the bridge from My laptop remotely as well as his locally!! Why is this so difficult?? Can we fix this Lutron??? Support chat guy told me it could be "perhaps something involve ip multicast or igmp snooping these settings are going to be unique to the networking equipment being used". This is ridiculous that in 2019 I cant have multicast enabled on my enterprise grade switches and expect a Connect Bridge to work. I'm surprised he didnt ask me to turn off my firewall... Why is Lutron's ethernet requirements stuck in the stone age?
    Thank you for your post Johnmax. We do apologize for your issues you had with your Connect Bridge. Based on the description of the steps you attempted. When we hear network switch, we are guessing it is managed. Managed switches tend to have issues with multicast (which is how our network devices communicate with each other). The processor's Ethernet ports are unmanaged switches of a sort. Using them instead is most likely the reason the discovery of the Connect Bridge worked.We have also passed your feedback along to our development team for future considerations. Hope this helps!

Well you sell a product that is a high end residential control system. I would assume most installs are going to involve managed switches. And if the switch was the issue, why would two HQP6-2 processors that are attached to this switch not have issues communicating with each other? Why is the Bridge so particular? And what are your recommended multicast settings for use with a Lutron system? It seems nobody can answer that which is very odd...

We do a lot of networks with managed switches. The only option for multicast is enabled/disabled. Other issues I have seen is the port on the switch is not activated or is assigned to a different LAN/VLAN. Some access points have the ability to enable/disable multicast. I've also seen the issue you described where the processors communicate but the bridge does not.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Our recommended multicast settings are “yes”. We need multicast enabled and unhindered.The bridge is a bit different from the processors as it communicates over the internet as well as on the LAN. If they have their network configured according to the information below you should not have any issues.The Connect Bridge will make outbound connections to various servers for things like application remote access and firmware updates. Most networks will not require special configuration for these connections to be established. When dealing with a restricted network (normally found in a corporate environment) it is possible that some changes will need to be made by the network administrator.
    Routers between different manufacturers and even different model routers from the same router manufacturer can potentially impact communication to the Lutron Bridges.
    Below is a short list of settings which may impact system connectivity from the mobile app and what they should be set to. Note that these settings will not be available on every router.
    Enable: Bonjour, mDNS, multicast
    Disable: QoS, IGMP Snooping
    Ports
    Port​ settings are not always adjustable, and the ISP may need to involved to confirm that these ports are not blocked. Since no inbound connections are being made, no ports will need to be forwarded. ​While port forwarding UDP port 23 from the internet to the network may help for the LHC+ mobile app. Port forwarding port 23 will always be ineffective at best, or detrimental at worst. Forwarding port 23 can cause Telnet lockout to go into effect which will cause the Connect mobile app to be unable to connect to the system.
    Outbound: 80 (TCP), 123 (UDP), 443 (TCP), 8883 (TCP), 7443 (TCP)
    Inbound:No port forwarding required.
    Local Network: 22 (SFTP), 23 (TCP), 1900 (UDP multicast), 4548 (TCP), 5353 (UDP multicast), 8081 (TCP), 8083 (TCP)
    URLSdevice-login.lutron.com
    updates.lutron.com
    lutron.broker.xively.com
    firmwareupdates.lutron.com
    s3.amazonaws.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12