Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Shade Button programming with Hold Functionality? - software request

Shade Button programming with Hold Functionality? - software request

Working through a client's request- basically it's the current open/stop/close/stop shade button programming model but with a press and hold for a preset (75% open).
    Right now I've settled for Toggle shade control, scene logic, stop if moving. This allows me to program the Preset 1 command to Hold.
    The downside is if shade is closed, then opened, the next press will either stop or continue opening. If I set room logic, the same problem happens when closing the shade.
    Customer service suggested a manual sequence but that creates timeout problems.
    If QS could be updated to allow a Hold command on an open/stop/close/stop model button that would be helpful.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Thank you for the feedback. What about using a 4-step automatic sequence with Tracking enabled where step 1 opens the shade, step 2 stops the shade, step 3 closes the shade, and step 4 stops the shade. For steps 2 and 4 (which stop the shade) you'd want to uncheck the box to "automatically go to the next step" and set the "Status LED" to be off. For steps 1 and 3 (which open/close the shade) you'd want to have the sequence automatically go to the next step after the amount of time it takes the shade to go from close to open or open to close, so for example, if it takes 10 seconds for the shade to fully open or close, you'd set steps 1 and 3 to automatically go to the next step after 10 seconds. This way if the client presses the button and the shade is closed, it will open and if the client does not press the button again, the sequence will go to step 2 automatically after 10 seconds, and the next press would close the shade. You'd also want to set the "Status LED" option for steps 1 and 3 to be either on or blinking. The "Stop Sequence" would be programmed to do nothing and you'd want to uncheck both boxes under "automatically stop sequence after:". Essentially this type of sequence is a hybrid between a manual and an automatic sequence.

As for the keypad button that controls the shade, you'd want to program it as single action with LED logic "defined by sequence" where the Press On is programmed as "Sequence Start/Next", and the Hold is programmed to go to a preset level.

3. Thanks digit1 thanked for this post
    Eric- thank you for doing my homework for me. That sounds like a great solution.

Eric- three things came up as I was making these sequences:
    1- Copying Presets would be handy
    2- "copy on preset" would be an alternative
    3- Copying Steps would help out too.

Thanks Again!

One last note- I'm not sure if it's something related to QS or my particular database, and I have sent the file to hwsupport for their help with this newest issue. While the 1-button control of the shade does work as advertised, I cannot use the raise and lower buttons to raise and lower the shades. I'm just looking for a sanity check- does anyone else have a programming model similar to this 1-button semi-auto sequence where the Master Raise/Lower buttons WILL control the shade or light level after the shade or light button has been pressed?

Quote Originally Posted by digit1 View Post
    One last note- I'm not sure if it's something related to QS or my particular database, and I have sent the file to hwsupport for their help with this newest issue. While the 1-button control of the shade does work as advertised, I cannot use the raise and lower buttons to raise and lower the shades. I'm just looking for a sanity check- does anyone else have a programming model similar to this 1-button semi-auto sequence where the Master Raise/Lower buttons WILL control the shade or light level after the shade or light button has been pressed?
    On the shade button with the sequence, add the shades again as "unaffected" to the keypad button. Then the R/L's will work.

Quote Originally Posted by aspalla View Post
    On the shade button with the sequence, add the shades again as "unaffected" to the keypad button. Then the R/L's will work.
    Thanks, that's a neat idea. I will try it out the next time I'm on site and let you know how it works.

Hi,

We came up with a similar idea, but with motors instead of shades.

We want the button to do Raise/Stop/Lower/Stop, and the hold to go to a preset position.

Only with motor modules there's no preset, of course, so we defined two sequences. One like described in this thread, Raise/Stop/Lower/Stop, and one with two steps : Lower (xx seconds), raise (y seconds), stop motor.

We programmed it as conditional, so that the raise/stop/lower/stop is only called if there was no hold. The hold calls the second sequence, the release (if there was no hold) calls the first sequence AND stops the first sequence.

We set the first sequence to track, the second one not to.

Trouble is if we hold, we have to press three times to stop the motor if we don't go through the whole sequence. That sucks and that is dangerous.
    Have been trying to get my head around this. So far no luck.