Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IOS App won't connect to Caseta Bridge

IOS App won't connect to Caseta Bridge

I have a brand new install (and about 25 years in the networking and computer industry :-). I connected the Bridge to the Ethernet port of my router and plugged in the power. The Bridge lights up so power seems OK.

After entering my login info, the Caseta app says "Discovering Smart Bridge..." then "Connecting to your Smart Bridge..." and then about a minute or two later says "Cannot connect to your smart bridge" and offers Cancel or Retry.

I can't find any troubleshooting docs or posts here covering this case. Fing doesn't show anything on the network that looks like it might be the Smart Bridge. No "Texas Instruments" devices, for example.

Help!

I called Lutron support and, about 45 minutes later, we came to the conclusion that my router's Ethernet ports are borked. Something that was confirmed by using a spare router I just happened to pick up earlier today. I have to say I am impressed at the patience and sheer helpfulness of Lutron support to work through all the possible causes and then wait for me to set up a spare router to confirm the diagnosis.

3. Likes Zach R., SDR-Mike, Loeffler liked this post

Borked?

Quote Originally Posted by limey View Post
    I called Lutron support and, about 45 minutes later, we came to the conclusion that my router's Ethernet ports are borked. Something that was confirmed by using a spare router I just happened to pick up earlier today. I have to say I am impressed at the patience and sheer helpfulness of Lutron support to work through all the possible causes and then wait for me to set up a spare router to confirm the diagnosis.
    I have the same issue but does “borked” mean your ports were shot, kaput, done? I use a Linksys EA8300, and it is only a few months old and I would be hard pressed to believe the ports were not working. Please embellish.

It turned out to be a Security setting on the wireless Access Point that prevented devices on the network from talking to each other (only traffic to/from the Internet was allowed). Therefore packets from my phone to the Lutron bridge were dropped by the AP. Once I had turned off that setting, everything worked. The other AP that I tried didn't have that turned on.

Same Scenario

I'm having the same issues with the connection, I'm not very computer/iphone smart, so I have to ask what is the AP, is that on your phone or bridge/router? How do you change the settings?? I have done scans and they are not picking up the IP address of bridge and router, so I'm thinking my situation is the same as yours but need step by step to fix. Please, thank you so MUCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Loeffler View Post
    I'm having the same issues with the connection, I'm not very computer/iphone smart, so I have to ask what is the AP, is that on your phone or bridge/router? How do you change the settings?? I have done scans and they are not picking up the IP address of bridge and router, so I'm thinking my situation is the same as yours but need step by step to fix. Please, thank you so MUCH!
    Most people have a router that combines a modem, router, firewall and wireless Access Point (AP) into one box. I had a separate AP on my last network so I could get better wireless coverage. But don't worry about that. 95% of people have just one box that combines everything.

1) Make sure your Lutron device is plugged directly to a LAN (local area network) port on your router using a network cable. There are typically 4 or 8 LAN ports on most boxes. Check the lights to make sure the cable isn't loose or anything like that. If in doubt, try a different cable. See if that fixes it.
    2) Make sure your phone is connected to the WiFi network from the box. The main network, not any guest network you may have. This is vital. See if that fixes it.
    3) Most routers have a web interface so you can configure them. Follow the instructions for your device to access that web interface. Unfortunately, the terminology for these security things is not standard, so look for options like "Direct internet access only" or something like that and try unchecking them. "Allow access to wired network" might be another way they put it.

Good luck!

I'm not sure if the issue I'm having is the same or related, but here goes:
    Smart Bridge Pro with half a dozen devices or so - ping-able, telnet-able, port-scan-able, I'm guessing ssh works (I don't have the certs, but it knows its there), and ALL of the other hub devices that have lutron integrations work as its currently set up, which I guess would be fine, except, now I want to add some more devices...

I've tried iOS, Android 9 (pixel 3), an nvidia k1 both on wireless and using a usb-ethernet dongle, I've switched routers from an old working config and back again, I even isolated the bridge, but I can not for the life of me get the Lutron app to connect to the SBP hub, it just times out with a generic 'cant' connect'. I reached out to support via email (calling is next..) and sent them all the support info I could get them, and they told me that they could see the mac address on their servers so there must be something wrong with my network...

I know I write long emails, but the part about being able to see it on my network should have made that answer require some follow up info... 'we can see your mac address, and here's some tid bits of info that you might not already have'. Without letting my frustration get the better of me - I'm pretty sure I got the, 'your a noob, go away' reply.

I feel like this came on the heels of a recent update, but I can't be sure - to be honest, I don't use the app that often - except when adding devices, so its possible this became a problem quite some time ago and I just didn't realize it..

I've been trying too figure out what the common failure scenarios are, but I think I've rule most of what I've come up with out.

Original working setup:
    TP-Link VPN router with a run of the mill d-link 16(18?) port switch, with 3 ubiquiti AP-AC Pro's and a unifi controller in a raspberry pi box. This was working at some point in time.

Current setup:
    Ubiquity ER4 with dual wan failover (finally got that working), a Netgear GSM7248 48 port managed switch, unifi cloud key and the same 3 AP's along with a Mikrotik LTE cellular modem.

I've got a Smartthings Hub, the Lutron Caseta Pro hub, Hue Hub and relatively recently, a Hubitat hub (slowly migrating off the ST hub). All of which worked - at some point in the last 6 months. A lot has changed, but with the exception of my phone that I replaced, I still have all the original hardware and as I mentioned, it would seem - in its original config still - to still not be working.

I don't really need the app to be honest, I just need the **** thing to let me pair up devices. Unfortunately I don't speak LIP (Lutron Integration Protocol) and aside from the integrations with some of the hubs, no one's talkin so I don't think I'm going to get anywhere with that one. Unless I become a contractor I guess...

Does any of that resonate/ring a bell/sound even remotely familiar? I'm tempted to hook up my old wink hub and see what happens.. Drivin me nuts! This should be so stinkin simple..

I know this thread was started some time ago but I too am having difficulty with the iOS app properly connecting to the Smart Bridge Pro for the first time.
    I am running an Eero mesh network and while that is quite handy, I cannot get deep into the guts of the network to debug issues such as this. That said I am experiencing essentially the same problem as the OP. I can see the Lutron bridge is connected to the network, has an IP address the light on the bridge is a solid color. Upon launch and login to the Lutron App, the prompt to Plug in Bridge/Main Repeater is presented, I click next, app shows it discovering the bridge, then shows it connecting and almost immediately the app reports "Cannot connect to your Lutron system", Cancel/Retry. Retry results in the same failure to connect. I have connected the bridge to the gateway Eero, an ethernet switch connected directly to the gateway Eero, an alternate wired Eero that is not the gateway. All cases have the same behavior and I cannot connect and am stopped from proceeding. Any help would be appreciated.

I had similar situation to you. I just have 2 devices and a non-Pro Smartbridge. I don't generally use the app. Changed out my router to a Netgear Orbi RBR50 and the smartbridge is wired into it. Tried to add a new switch and couldn't get into the app, App won't connect. Router shows that the Smart Bridge is connected but I can't see it on fing from my phone. Tried everything: reboot everything. Check ports. Open up the firewall. Port Forwarding. Installer mode. I didn't convert my router from a router to an access point, but that wasn't necessary. Eventually what worked was a factory reset on the Smart Bridge. With the black button on the back, press, press, press&hold for 10 seconds, press, press, press. Then when the lights go out, unplug and replug power. Wait about 10 minutes for it to figure itself out. Then go to the app and repeat setup. You will need to reset/re-pair every device so if you have a lot of devices this might not be the solution for you, but it was the only one that worked for me. I saw in some other threads advising against using the factory reset unless the Lutron support staff tells you to do it, so beware of some unspecified doom that could happen, although I don't know what it is. I hope this saves someone else the 3 hours that I spent getting intimate with my router.

Fios, Orbi, iPhone Caseta Bridge Connecting Failed

Equipment-Orbi RB854K (1 Router and 3 Satellites)-Verizon Fios Quantum Gateway Router Modem (G1100)-Lutron Caseta Smart Bridge (L-BDG2-WH) and some Lutron Caseta switches-Apple iPhoneI have been successfully using my Orbi WiFi 6 System with my Verizon Fios Quantum Gateway modem (WiFi turned off) with the Orbi in AP mode. This includes connecting devices to my Orbi router and satellites via wireless and ethernet. The Lutron instructions indicate that the Smart Bridge needs to be directly connected to the Router via an ethernet cable. My first attempt connected the Smart Bridge to my Orbi Router and kept the Orbi Router in AP mode. The Smart Bridge was not recognized by the Lutron App (although the device did show as connected in the Orbi admin panel). I then switched my Orbi to Router mode and again was unable to have my Smart Bridge recognized by the Lutron app but it did show as connected in the Orbi Admin Panel. This switch also caused issues with my cable tv so I switched things back. I also used the advanced in the Lutron App to enter the IP address for the Lutron Hub showing in my Orbi panel and that too failed.How do I get the Lutron app to connect to my Lutron system and keep Orbi in AP mode? Right now my Lutron switches are nice dimmers with a remote but unable to be controlled by Amazon Alexa or my Logitech Harmony remote. Thanks in advance for any guidance provided.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast