Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  20
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does this mean HomeKit/Siri support is coming soon to RadioRA 2?

I don't read that at all. It uses the Connect Bridge from a year ago. I don't read that it's a different Connect Bridge, do you?

2. Likes dvpvic liked this post
    When Caseta got HomeKit you needed a new hub that was HomeKit compatible. For HomeKit Apple requires a whole bunch of stuff and a key on the hub or bridge. The current connect bridge lacks this key and doesn't meet the HomeKit requirements unless Apple has loosened them.

Are you telling me they announced the CONNECT-BDG-1 that shipped less than a year ago is not the bridge for this? I find that hard to believe given both Caseta models support it.

There are many DSPs they could have used that would allow software changes and any keys Apple would require.

If that's the case, Lutron has terrible planning and should seek leadership change in RA 2 product management.

Check the part numbers on the caseta hubs. The pro and no pro hubs are version 2. The first versions didn't support HomeKit.

There are some threads where Lutron has weighed in, in the past, saying there were no plans for HomeKit support with the connect bridge at this time. At some point Someone also detailed the HomeKit requirements and explained why the caseta hub version 1 had to be scrapped for HomeKit. I think it was even detailed out that if RadioRa2 ever was to support HomeKit the hub would need replacement.

I really hope I am wrong about this but I got burned on two installs just prior to/right after the HomeKit integration with Caseta.
    RadioRa2 PSP Level 2 Platiunum
    RaSelect Pro Installer
    Caseta "Pro" Installer
    My Systems:
    RadioRa2 with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.
    Caseta with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.

See page 14 of the thread Lutron announces connect bridge for radiora2 (and hw qs)

https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...Connect+bridge
    RadioRa2 PSP Level 2 Platiunum
    RaSelect Pro Installer
    Caseta "Pro" Installer
    My Systems:
    RadioRa2 with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.
    Caseta with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.

I read that and was aware when I answered, but the QS/RR version came out with the second gen Caseta hub. It's either totally wrong, as I expect, or Lutron has a serious problem. The Connect Hub is virtually useless as it is (seriously, a connected thermostat won't even change temp on Away mode RR2 buttons?), and they shouldn't have shipped them if the would have to be physically replaced.

I think more of Lutron than they'd ship garbage for a higher price than the Caseta version.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeetal View Post
    When Caseta got HomeKit you needed a new hub that was HomeKit compatible. For HomeKit Apple requires a whole bunch of stuff and a key on the hub or bridge. The current connect bridge lacks this key and doesn't meet the HomeKit requirements unless Apple has loosened them.
    This was a major concern for me after I ordered ten for stock. I have had discussions with certain people who know far more than we do. Lutron got caught holding the bag on the SMB1 vs. SMB2. The Homekit restriction from the connect bridge was solely on the Apple side. I was assured that the EXISTING Connect bridge will be just a firmware push via the cloud to get this ability. I seriously doubt we will get a repeat of the SmartBridge/Homekit issue.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    To clarify a few things here HomeKit will be available for RadioRa 2. Apple requires a physical chip and a HomeKit code on all HomeKit products to ensure quality so a gen 2 bridge will be coming out with the HomeKit chip. Unfortently a firmware update wouldn't be enough to enable this feature. This will be the only difference between the gen 1 bridge and new gen 2 bridge.
    HomeKit will control lighting zones and shades, if scene control is desired the scenes will need to be created within the Apple Home app.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Bo. View Post
    To clarify a few things here HomeKit will be available for RadioRa 2. Apple requires a physical chip and a HomeKit code on all HomeKit products to ensure quality so a gen 2 bridge will be coming out with the HomeKit chip. Unfortently a firmware update wouldn't be enough to enable this feature. This will be the only difference between the gen 1 bridge and new gen 2 bridge.
    HomeKit will control lighting zones and shades, if scene control is desired the scenes will need to be created within the Apple Home app.

Thank you for the response. Any time frame on the release of the gen 2 model?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by dvpvic View Post
    Thank you for the response. Any time frame on the release of the gen 2 model?
    We are aiming for a March/April release of the gen 2 bridge.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast