Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Adding LRF2 Occupancy sensor to project using essentials 10.7

Adding LRF2 Occupancy sensor to project using essentials 10.7

Dumb question here but I am trying to add the LRF2-ocr2b-p to the project using essentials 10.7 in I know its something easy but do I use the "design" tab ? because I only see 5 other types of occupancy sensors and not the LRF2 occupancy sensor
    Thanks

Figured it out 1 minute after I posted this that the sensor cannot be at the same location as another device

Each sensor is it's own 'location' within a 'room'.

Also know that you can tie different actions to the vacancy and occupancy settings. For a powder room I have one that turns on the desired lighting with occupancy, but for vacancy it turns off that, the ceiling fixture and has a delayed off for a fan on an 8ANS switch. Works nicely. This way if anyone gets confused and turns on more lights, or leaves the fan running, the vacancy setting handles it after a delay. Also note you can set the fade rate for a longer period. This helps warn an occupants that the lighting is going away, for rare occasions where the sensor might not sense motion properly.

Another thing to consider is the devices being controlled don't have to be in the same room. You can have any of the devices in the project controlled through occupancy and vacancy settings. Lastly you can also limit when a sensor is active with a timeclock event. This is useful in a master closet where you don't want the lighting to come on and wake anyone sleeping in the adjacent bedroom. What it doesn't do, however, is provide for different sets of scenes. It just toggles whether the sensor is active or not. Now, you could go a step further and use two separate sensors, where one is active during the day and the other during the night, each with their own scene settings. But that's kind of overkill for most situations.

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    Each sensor is it's own 'location' within a 'room'.

Also know that you can tie different actions to the vacancy and occupancy settings. For a powder room I have one that turns on the desired lighting with occupancy, but for vacancy it turns off that, the ceiling fixture and has a delayed off for a fan on an 8ANS switch. Works nicely. This way if anyone gets confused and turns on more lights, or leaves the fan running, the vacancy setting handles it after a delay. Also note you can set the fade rate for a longer period. This helps warn an occupants that the lighting is going away, for rare occasions where the sensor might not sense motion properly.

Another thing to consider is the devices being controlled don't have to be in the same room. You can have any of the devices in the project controlled through occupancy and vacancy settings. Lastly you can also limit when a sensor is active with a timeclock event. This is useful in a master closet where you don't want the lighting to come on and wake anyone sleeping in the adjacent bedroom. What it doesn't do, however, is provide for different sets of scenes. It just toggles whether the sensor is active or not. Now, you could go a step further and use two separate sensors, where one is active during the day and the other during the night, each with their own scene settings. But that's kind of overkill for most situations.

Awesome.
    Thank you for this information. Regarding the delayed off period. This must be set on the sensor itself? I would think it would be best to set timeouts in the software but I am reading you can only do that on the back of the sensor in 1,5,10,15 minute settings? What if I wanted 10 seconds?

The time is set on the sensor itself, with the options available.

There's two times, one is the fade rate or how long the light will take to drop to off. The other is a the delay, how long before the light will start it's fade to off. You have to right-click on the device list for a scene to have it show the delay column. When using these timers it's good to think about how someone is going to be leaving a space. When there's a keypad near a door I usually set the bottom button to 'All off' or 'Area Off'. Then set most of the lighting (the ones most likely to be lit) to immediately drop to off (or with a very quick fade). This lets the user know their button press was detected. Then I set the exit lighting with a 30-90 second delay and a 10 second fade. This will keep the lighting lit for long enough for them to leave and still fade gracefully should they still be in transit through the space.

In what scenario would you want 10 seconds?