Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Integrating with RF

Integrating with RF

Does anyone have any experience integrating directly with RadioRA2 via RF (instead of rs232 or telnet)? I'm trying to work around some issues with lag with the published integration protocol, and my only remaining idea is to listen in on the RF frequency. If anyone has any pointers to get me started, it would be much appreciated.

Honestly, I'm somewhat hopeful that this isn't really possible. I'd hate to have someone broadcast a drive-by scene change from outside the house. But I have this suspicion it's all clear-text.

I should add that this isn't an important project, I'm just having fun doing deep integration on my new home automation. I'd almost prefer to have an excuse to learn how RF receivers work :)

Quote Originally Posted by spherex View Post
    Does anyone have any experience integrating directly with RadioRA2 via RF (instead of rs232 or telnet)? I'm trying to work around some issues with lag with the published integration protocol, and my only remaining idea is to listen in on the RF frequency. If anyone has any pointers to get me started, it would be much appreciated.

Honestly, I'm somewhat hopeful that this isn't really possible. I'd hate to have someone broadcast a drive-by scene change from outside the house. But I have this suspicion it's all clear-text.

I should add that this isn't an important project, I'm just having fun doing deep integration on my new home automation. I'd almost prefer to have an excuse to learn how RF receivers work :)
    You should be able to see the transmissions on a 433.4 MhZ band, but direct integration would be nearly impossible as the protocol is proprietary.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    You should be able to see the transmissions on a 433.4 MhZ band, but direct integration would be nearly impossible as the protocol is proprietary.
    Out of curiosity, where did you get that the band is 433.4 MHz? Their whitepaper says 434 MHz, but another site says it's 433.6 MHz.

https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocu...whitepaper.pdf
    https://hackaday.io/project/2291-int...less-interface

It's a number that Lutron engineers probably told me. 434MHz is the median of the range used for North America. It could very well be 433.6.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Can you explain what is the issue with the telnet, I'm using it and it is quick and reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by donmor View Post
    Can you explain what is the issue with the telnet, I'm using it and it is quick and reliable.
    It turned out to not be an issue with telnet but with keypad presses. They're very slow to report over either telnet or RS-232. Makes it near impossible to build responsive integration that reacts to keypads.

Quote Originally Posted by spherex View Post

I would love to know this too!
    RadioRa2 PSP Level 2 Platiunum
    RaSelect Pro Installer
    Caseta "Pro" Installer
    My Systems:
    RadioRa2 with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.
    Caseta with Triathlon Shades, Sonos, Harmony, Nest, Alexa, and HomeKit.