Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can a Pico control the Hunter HomeKit fan?

Can a Pico control the Hunter HomeKit fan?

Pretty sure I know the answer, but since we can connect the Hunter fan to the app, can we then assign a pico to it, to turn it on and off?

Love the idea of the HomeKit hunter fans, but as a must have is a wall control for at least the light. (And I am not sticking their remote to the wall as a switch)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    (And I am not sticking their remote to the wall as a switch)
    I don't know why in the world Hunter didn't include an in-wall remote rather than the handheld remote. Most people at this level of home automation keep their phones close at hand. Sorry to beat a dead horse but I'm seriously disappointed with this void in the Caseta Wireless product line. >:-/

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    As you have probably already discovered, there is no way to have a Pico control the fan speed using our app. Since I can't offer an official solution, perhaps I can suggest a workaround using HomeKit triggers:

You could set up HomeKit triggers that change the speed of your fan based on the "levels" of a Caseta plug in dimmer.

75% on Caseta dimmer = Fan speed to high
    50% on Caseta dimmer = Fan speed to medium
    25% on Caseta dimmer = Fan speed to low
    0% on Caseta dimmer = Fan off

You would then program the 4-button Pico buttons to send the plug in dimmer to these levels. You would not need to have a light plugged in to the dimmer for this to work. Through my own testing I have found this to work consistently, but there is a noticeable delay...I am assuming that the delay would be less noticeable when changing the speed of a fan vs. the intensity of a light.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach R. View Post
    As you have probably already discovered, there is no way to have a Pico control the fan speed using our app. Since I can't offer an official solution, perhaps I can suggest a workaround using HomeKit triggers:

You could set up HomeKit triggers that change the speed of your fan based on the "levels" of a Caseta plug in dimmer.

75% on Caseta dimmer = Fan speed to high
    50% on Caseta dimmer = Fan speed to medium
    25% on Caseta dimmer = Fan speed to low
    0% on Caseta dimmer = Fan off

You would then program the 4-button Pico buttons to send the plug in dimmer to these levels. You would not need to have a light plugged in to the dimmer for this to work. Through my own testing I have found this to work consistently, but there is a noticeable delay...I am assuming that the delay would be less noticeable when changing the speed of a fan vs. the intensity of a light.
    This is what i felt was the answer. But 2 questions.

1. Lutron says you can add the homekit fan to the app, but does that mean it only adds the light and not the fan? Do not have one, looking at the options befire buying.

2. Unless I am missing something, with the homekit app you cannot set it do something based of light % only on/ off. So the dimmer trick would not work. I have also not had the best of luck with getting the dimmer module to fire a scene consistsntly. What app are you using for %?

edit: I see the eve app will do % based. Might have to play around with it.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    1.) The fan will show up in our app and you will be able to control the speed.

2.) Glad you found it... Elgato Eve was the app I was thinking of that will allow you to create triggers based on %

P.S. Our development team is still looking into your "ghost" device issue. I am assuming that the notifications are still being generated...is that correct?

1.) The fan will show up in our app and you will be able to control the speed.

2.) Glad you found it... Elgato Eve was the app I was thinking of that will allow you to create triggers based on %

P.S. Our development team is still looking into your "ghost" device issue. I am assuming that the notifications are still being generated...is that correct?
    thanks for the info.

Yes the (null)) light is still showing.

As you have probably already discovered, there is no way to have a Pico control the fan speed using our app. Since I can't offer an official solution, perhaps I can suggest a workaround using HomeKit triggers: You could set up HomeKit triggers that change the speed of your fan based on the "levels" of a Caseta plug in dimmer. 75% on Caseta dimmer = Fan speed to high50% on Caseta dimmer = Fan speed to medium25% on Caseta dimmer = Fan speed to low0% on Caseta dimmer = Fan offYou would then program the 4-button Pico buttons to send the plug in dimmer to these levels. You would not need to have a light plugged in to the dimmer for this to work. Through my own testing I have found this to work consistently, but there is a noticeable delay...I am assuming that the delay would be less noticeable when changing the speed of a fan vs. the intensity of a light.
    Can you pair The fan control pico with a Plug-in Dimmer? I'm thinking of creating a HomeKit workaround to control my Hunter Symphony Fan via a pico. Please Hunter, come out with HomeKit support for Picos! Oi would buy so many of them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    thanks for the info.

Yes the (null)) light is still showing.
    Hey Sawdust, did you ever figure this out? I am trying to add a Casablanca (hunter) fan to HomeKit or Home Assistant or Homebridge. I would also like to remove the Universal Wall Control (Hunter - 99195) out of the picture as it is a turd. Note: Whoever designed a in wall fan controller switch with batteries should retire & stop designing things. I love the fan, but the wall switch is junk.

Basically, I want 1 of these 2 options:
    1. Remove the Universal Wall Control - 99195 & replace with the Lutron PD-FSQN Smart Fan Speed Control Switch (or)
    2. Leave the Universal Wall Control - 99195 (cringe) & use a pico or other smart universal RF remote to smarten it up the fan

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even just to tell me it's not possible.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SuburbanIdiot View Post
    Hey Sawdust, did you ever figure this out? I am trying to add a Casablanca (hunter) fan to HomeKit or Home Assistant or Homebridge. I would also like to remove the Universal Wall Control (Hunter - 99195) out of the picture as it is a turd. Note: Whoever designed a in wall fan controller switch with batteries should retire & stop designing things. I love the fan, but the wall switch is junk.

Basically, I want 1 of these 2 options:
    1. Remove the Universal Wall Control - 99195 & replace with the Lutron PD-FSQN Smart Fan Speed Control Switch (or)
    2. Leave the Universal Wall Control - 99195 (cringe) & use a pico or other smart universal RF remote to smarten it up the fan

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even just to tell me it's not possible.

Thanks!
    It's not possible. I used the plug-in-dimmer "hack" and set the pico levels to 3 corresponding speeds. This worked okay, but there are 4 speeds to the fan. I ended up buying Hunter's universal remote for each of the 4 fans. https://www.hunterfan.com/products/c...-control-99393

Universal Fan-Light Wall Control - 99393