Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RA2 switch for 120v/1500w heater on 20amp circuit

RA2 switch for 120v/1500w heater on 20amp circuit

I have two outdoor infrared heaters. They are 120v, rated at about 1500 watts, and each is on its own 20 amp circuit.

Which RA2 compatible On/Off switches would I use for this?

I don't think there is a large enough switch that's rated for that amperage. What I would do is build a small 2 pole contact with a 120v coil that would be energized by the rrd-8ANS. Hide the JBox somewhere under the deck or in the attic. But of course this is easier said than done if it's a retrofit application.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    I have two outdoor infrared heaters. They are 120v, rated at about 1500 watts, and each is on its own 20 amp circuit.

Let me know if you need help with a diagram for it or something

Thanks for the info and offer.

The actual draw is max 12.5A (we're just on 20A circuit), but I see this is still above the max amperage supported by the 8ANS.

The company that provides the heaters also makes smart controllers, so I'll look into those.

The company that provides the heaters also makes smart controllers, so I'll look into those.
    When it comes to high-drain devices like heaters this would always be my first course of action.

But it would no longer be controlled with RadioRA 2 would it, but rather directly via interface of the controller? I Haven't heard of any third heat smart controllers work with RR2.

Quote Originally Posted by dvpvic View Post
    But it would no longer be controlled with RadioRA 2 would it, but rather directly via interface of the controller? I Haven't heard of any third heat smart controllers work with RR2.
    So use one of many 3rd party systems to act a bridge. For high-drain devices like heaters there's a lot to be said for making it operate safely, not trying to insist on just one method/system. It'd be nice, don't get me wrong, but there's some windmills not worth tilting at.

The next question is what other integration systems does that heater's smart control support?

This will handle the current draw, but it's not designed to be operated directly by the user. If you use a keypad or pico to control it I think it's the simplest solution. I've used them to control odd things like large fluorescent lighting circuits or espresso makers.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...69428f_ENG.pdf

Might be available to inclusive Ra2 only, I'm not certain.

Quote Originally Posted by digit1 View Post
    http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...69428f_ENG.pdf

Might be available to inclusive Ra2 only, I'm not certain.
    Yep, requires Inclusive tier. Also know it makes a bit of a loud click as it engages. Used one for an LED light fixture in a ceiling fan. Had access from the attic and plugged it into the ceiling box for the fan. I'd love to have a dimmer variant of this module. This to work around the lack of wall space (very tight molding arrangement) for another wall junction box. Could have set up a single gang wall box "somewhere else" but nowhere convenient wasn't up in the very hot attic space. Figured it was worth a try using the Pow-pak. Don't know that I'd go that route again, at least not for the light due to the relay noise.

Since each heater has its own 20 amp circuit, you can install a Contactor/Relay and a RRD-8ANS switch near the breaker panel. You can then control each heater via a keypad button or a PICO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast