Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Can Caseta switches be used to control power to a ceiling fan/light kit?

Question Can Caseta switches be used to control power to a ceiling fan/light kit?

Hi,

I’m trying to control 120V AC power to a ceiling fan/light kit combo. I currently have a standard dumb switch on the wall that controls power to the ceiling fan/light kit. It’s 1 switch that controls power to the entire fan/light kit combined. When turned on, we then control the fan and light using it’s included remote control. I’m learning that standard smart switches cannot handle the combination of the resistive load of the lights with the impulse load of the fan. Will any Caseta smart switches be able to handle the combination of these two different loads to provide smart switching for the fan/light kit combo? I’m not looking to control the fan or light itself from the Caseta switch - just the power provided to the unit.

2. Thanks K-n-C thanked for this post
    Lutron Technical Support
    Hello!

Thank you for reaching out. We recommend a neutral based Caseta switch such as the Original PD-6ANS or new Claro DVRF-5NS. These units will simply control the power feed to the fan/light, with fan speed adjustment being handled at the pull chains. These devices are rated for both load types (fan motor load and lighting) and should not encounter an issue when combining them.

4. Likes K-n-C liked this post

Clarification on on/off control by Caseta and third party remote to control fan.

I have a similar situation as the OP with the added complexity of no neutral or grounds in any of my wall switches (Pre-1950s wiring).

I have successfully switched all my lights with PD-6WCL switches, and my bathroom lights/fan circuits with PD-5WS-DV (without the MLC).

Next I plan to swap out the switches controlling power to my 4 pull chain light/fan combos in my bedrooms with PD-5WS-DV. I have 2 more light/fan combos in my livingroom and den that use a thermostatic remote to control the fan and allow dimming control on the lights remotely. The switch on the wall only controls power to the module in the fan. My hope is that the module is going to have the necessary capacitor internal to the module wired in the fixture, so I do not have to pull it down to install the MLC. Am I asking too much from the PD-5WS-DV?

Thanks for any feedback before I start tearing things apart. ;)

Lutron Technical Support
    Hi K-n-C,

That is quite the setup, my home was built in the 30's with no neutral or grounds in sight so I can understand this. Since the PD-5WS-DV does not rely on the neutral connection, a minimum load must be met. Please take a look at the following minimum load chart for this device:

@Brandon W you apparently have access to an office 365 site that requires a login. I do not support microsoft, so I do not have access to the link you emailed me. perhaps you can save the jpeg or convert it to a pdf or something you can directly post? Thanks.

Lutron Technical Support
    Hello,

Page 5 of the Caseta Load Control spec sheet shows the minimum load requirement of the PD-5WS-DV: https://www.casetawireless.com/sites...369987_ENG.pdf

One point you mentioned earlier was the inclusion of a thermostatic remote to control the fan and dimming of the lights remotely. We can note guarantee any level of compatibility with a Caséta smart control used in conjunction with a load that has it's own remote control.

I am Happy to report that both Harbor Breeze, and Hamilton Fan controls work with the PD-5WS-DV AND it did not matter whether LED lights or Incandescents were installed... it was not necessary to install the MLC. I monitored the switch temps in both the on and off states for a day each and there was less than a 1F degree change between states. Everything appears to be working fine without any hum or lighting anomalies. 👍

10. Likes Brandon W. liked this post
    Lutron Technical Support
    We are happy to hear that the Caseta Pro switch is working great with this setup. The LUT-MLC should only be used with lighting loads, so we are glad that the switch can operate without it on this fan.