Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  41
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Caseta System at max Capacity

I just received an email today, as I'm sure many other members have as well, stating that a new reveal is coming to the Caseta line in a few days.

I am unable to post the entirety of my message in this thread. Instead I am given a 403 error. I will make a new post and to the mods, feel free to move that post into this thread as that was my intention.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by bmennear View Post
    I just received an email today, as I'm sure many other members have as well, stating that a new reveal is coming to the Caseta line in a few days.
    Any update on this? I think the new reveal was just a new switch type?

This 50 device limit is ridiculous! I just hit it (not knowing there was a limit) and have 4 other switches I've already bought and now will have to figure out if I can return them, or cobble one of the work around together. Work arounds suck. The reason I'm paying $50 a switch for Lutrons is because they work well.

Lutron....wake up...this is a dumb limit! I've been promoting your product to all my IT friends, and now I'm about to go out and say...HOLD ON...there is a dumb limit here! 50 may sound like a lot, but when you consider a switch that is 3 way eats up 3 devices, you can get there pretty quickly. My house is 3000 square feet and I have probably 20 more switches/remotes yet to complete what I want automated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1 View Post
    Any update on this? I think the new reveal was just a new switch type?

This 50 device limit is ridiculous! I just hit it (not knowing there was a limit) and have 4 other switches I've already bought and now will have to figure out if I can return them, or cobble one of the work around together. Work arounds suck. The reason I'm paying $50 a switch for Lutrons is because they work well.

Lutron....wake up...this is a dumb limit! I've been promoting your product to all my IT friends, and now I'm about to go out and say...HOLD ON...there is a dumb limit here! 50 may sound like a lot, but when you consider a switch that is 3 way eats up 3 devices, you can get there pretty quickly. My house is 3000 square feet and I have probably 20 more switches/remotes yet to complete what I want automated.
    I agree with you Mitch. But I don't think we'll see any movement on this. Lutron wants to protect their custom integrators.

I would like to present a possible 'workaround' that isn't really a workaround. You mentioned that a simple 3 switch setup could eat up 3 devices. There are Caseta Pro switches that can do a three switch setup with only one device. They have a traveler wire that can make use of the existing wall switches in location 2 and 3. This can help you go much further with the 50 device limit than you'd get using picos all over the place.

By the way Mitch, I do feel your pain....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8993.PNG 
Views:	18 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	842

Quote Originally Posted by Gator Bite View Post
    I agree with you Mitch. But I don't think we'll see any movement on this. Lutron wants to protect their custom integrators.

I would like to present a possible 'workaround' that isn't really a workaround. You mentioned that a simple 3 switch setup could eat up 3 devices. There are Caseta Pro switches that can do a three switch setup with only one device. They have a traveler wire that can make use of the existing wall switches in location 2 and 3. This can help you go much further with the 50 device limit than you'd get using picos all over the place.
    The Caseta Pro switch can only handle a 3-way application. You are describing a 3/4 way application where three switches control a light source. In this case, you can use the Caseta Pro and a standard switch, but you'll need a Pico to cover any remaining switches. A 4-way switch (required in the middle of this application) will break the circuit entirely when using Caseta dimmers/switches. This will result in a loss of power to the Caseta device and loss of all functions. Not exactly the scenario you want for a customer. This was direct for Lutron tech support when the pro dimmer and switch were released. I have them on speed dial.

If Lutron "borrowed" the remote dimmers/switches from the Maestro Line/RadioRA2/Ra2Select/HWQS, then we would have a viable solution.

I wrote a long post that ran into the 403 error we had a while ago. This comes down to understanding the limitations of Caseta and the requirements for your home. If you are going for whole home at some point in the future, then you'll need RA2Select or RadioRA2, end of story. A Hyundai is a good car that gets me to work and has a lot of standard features, but if I want a Porsche or Rolls Royce- is it Hyundai's fault that I didn't get what I was hoping for? I understand the limitations of budget- if most of my stuff wasn't free, I wouldn't have it. But understanding the product is what I do as a professional in the industry. I discover the needs and future desires of my clients before suggesting a system. If you need the Porsche, then I quote the Porsche. If you chose the Hyundai- you'll still get quality, but sacrifice the long term goal for the short term budget. Not looking to offend here, just provide some clarity.

Possible work arounds for device limitations- don't use Caseta where a simple occupancy/vacancy sensor will work. They even make a dimming version for LEDs. Why waste a Caseta device in a "water closet", garage, laundry, or master closet when a cheaper solution exists- that provides "lighting control"- and saves a device on the SmartBridge.

Others have invested in Homeseer and such to bridge two Caseta systems. Can result in some difficult or "kludgey" programming, but might work for your needs. Other third party systems may be able to provide the same. I am looking into adding Caseta to my personal Control4/RadioRA2 system.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

7. Likes Bill13 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    The Caseta Pro switch can only handle a 3-way application. You are describing a 3/4 way application where three switches control a light source. In this case, you can use the Caseta Pro and a standard switch, but you'll need a Pico to cover any remaining switches. A 4-way switch (required in the middle of this application) will break the circuit entirely when using Caseta dimmers/switches. This will result in a loss of power to the Caseta device and loss of all functions. Not exactly the scenario you want for a customer. This was direct for Lutron tech support when the pro dimmer and switch were released. I have them on speed dial.

If Lutron "borrowed" the remote dimmers/switches from the Maestro Line/RadioRA2/Ra2Select/HWQS, then we would have a viable solution.

I wrote a long post that ran into the 403 error we had a while ago. This comes down to understanding the limitations of Caseta and the requirements for your home. If you are going for whole home at some point in the future, then you'll need RA2Select or RadioRA2, end of story. A Hyundai is a good car that gets me to work and has a lot of standard features, but if I want a Porsche or Rolls Royce- is it Hyundai's fault that I didn't get what I was hoping for? I understand the limitations of budget- if most of my stuff wasn't free, I wouldn't have it. But understanding the product is what I do as a professional in the industry. I discover the needs and future desires of my clients before suggesting a system. If you need the Porsche, then I quote the Porsche. If you chose the Hyundai- you'll still get quality, but sacrifice the long term goal for the short term budget. Not looking to offend here, just provide some clarity.

Possible work arounds for device limitations- don't use Caseta where a simple occupancy/vacancy sensor will work. They even make a dimming version for LEDs. Why waste a Caseta device in a "water closet", garage, laundry, or master closet when a cheaper solution exists- that provides "lighting control"- and saves a device on the SmartBridge.

Others have invested in Homeseer and such to bridge two Caseta systems. Can result in some difficult or "kludgey" programming, but might work for your needs. Other third party systems may be able to provide the same. I am looking into adding Caseta to my personal Control4/RadioRA2 system.
    When I buy a Porsche I expect it to run like one. The Caseta system IS the top end of wireless switches! I don't want to buy some of the cheaper switches - I bought Lutron because they are the top of the line. At $50 a switch, I don't expect them to arbitrarily force a stupid limit on me in order to protect their "integrator" market! This is asinine as a business model, and will result in people like me posting where ever I can to say DON'T BUY LUTRON CASETA - THEY ARE IDIOTS! The world and market is changing. People want to be able to control their own implementations - realize this and allow us to do it, or someone else will do it and leave you behind.

Otherwise you can be like Kodak and keep selling your film thinking that digital will never take off (even though your OWN engineers built digital cameras and say it will subsume the market). WAKE UP YOU MORONS in product management! You aren't protecting anyone! You are screwing your customers and we won't sit down quietly!

I'm a senior executive in an IT company - and I can tell you that this is one of those moronic instances where someone at Lutron is being pressured to do something stupid, but can't see the forest for the trees! Hopefully they wake up before they lose their advantage and someone gets onto Amazon with a product that does the same thing at half the price with no limit. Then it will be game over for Caseta. (and those of us that thought Lutron wouldn't be that dumb will have to eat our own words......I'd prefer not to be that guy!)

Every single solution worldwide is moving towards zero cost implementation/operations. Move there or exit the market.....those are your options.

I'm off to go edit my review on Amazon and Home Depot of these switches. I hope everyone else on here does likewise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1 View Post
    When I buy a Porsche I expect it to run like one. The Caseta system IS the top end of wireless switches! I don't want to buy some of the cheaper switches - I bought Lutron because they are the top of the line.
    Mitch1- I completely respect this opinion. I was the rep selling these when they were released. Thought my business was shot when Caseta came out. Turns out, RadioRA2 business went UP when Caseta was released in the wholesale channels. Where this falls down is outside of this environment in the retail space. Caseta was always designed for the retail space.

Think of it this way- you, as a senior executive in an IT company- are being asked to make my $50 all in one router/modem/WAP combo that my cable company "gave" me or that I bought from a big box store/Amazon run an enterprise level corporate infrastructure for a $1/10/100M business. I'm sure you would be telling me that there is no way I could expect the $100 Netgear WAP/router with TP-Link wifi extenders I have to handle that level of traffic or security. Same instance here. If someone sold you this system, then they did a POOR job of it. Had I trained them (taught about 100 RadioRA2 Level 1 courses, implemented or assisted in probably 500 systems) I would personally kick him where it hurts. Understanding your needs is paramount to designing and selling the right solution, as you well know in your field. I am sorry that you are unhappy with the result, but bargain shopping a Netgear solution online can never out-perform a CCNA design Enterprise network- ever. I'm sure you would agree. Feel free to email me from my signature. I would love to help out in figuring the best course of action for using your system going forward. There are solutions out there for exceeding the system limitations. I even have a few tricks up my sleeve depending on the level of additions you need.

10. Likes Gator Bite liked this post
    I think Mitch's frustration is what we all feel. I love Caseta and recommend it to everyone. I understand the need to support integrators but honestly the market potential is huge. Caseta whets the appetite and Ra2 Select is a nice jump up but what I'd like to see is a nice bridge between the two that doesn't involve me ripping and replacing my Caseta. What's going to drive Integrator opportunities is mire programmability in the higher tier stuff (fade rates, timers, multi click features, integrations etc).

Quote Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
    I think Mitch's frustration is what we all feel. I love Caseta and recommend it to everyone. I understand the need to support integrators but honestly the market potential is huge. Caseta whets the appetite and Ra2 Select is a nice jump up but what I'd like to see is a nice bridge between the two that doesn't involve me ripping and replacing my Caseta. What's going to drive Integrator opportunities is mire programmability in the higher tier stuff (fade rates, timers, multi click features, integrations etc).
    I actually agree with this statement. If they can sell Caseta at the price they are, why is the Ra and HWQS so much more? I understand that the pricepoint was established long before Caseta was introduced, and that Caseta benefits from design costs being absorbed by the older, larger systems. But there are people that have difficulty understanding the maestro design, where as the Caseta is very straight forward. Others find the Caseta to be "dumbed down" and like the clean look of Maestro. I would love to be able to use either in either system. Pay a license fee to upgrade the bridge for more features. Maybe not all the way to HWQS, but that would solve everyone's issues with the Caseta vs. RadioRa debate. Pay your programmer/integrator to unlock the bridge and move on up, adding features and devices available. I have an idea personally as to where RadioRA2 might be going, since the main repeater hardware is ancient in the computer world. Lutron will always remain tight-lipped as to new product development, so we'll all have to wait and see. We did finally get a fan-speed for Caseta, all be it about five years after we started asking. (Still waiting on the Shared Path Of Light in RR2 Inclusive and a switching hybrid KP...)

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast