Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  41
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Caseta System at max Capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    Do you have a link to this chart? All I could find was Lutron's brochure.
    You can find it here under the hardware compatibility section

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...comparison.pdf

The main repeater may "see" the Caseta dimmer on the Clear Connect network, but does not have the necessary "drivers" to add Caseta dimmers to a RA2 Select/RadioRA2 system. You must replace all the Caseta dimmers if you wish to convert to RA2 of either type. Vice versa applies, RA2 devices cannot be used in a Caseta System. Only the Picos cross all platforms. HWQS and RA2 share some devices as well, but Caseta is an island, essentially.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

3. Likes Brian W. liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    The main repeater may "see" the Caseta dimmer on the Clear Connect network, but does not have the necessary "drivers" to add Caseta dimmers to a RA2 Select/RadioRA2 system. You must replace all the Caseta dimmers if you wish to convert to RA2 of either type. Vice versa applies, RA2 devices cannot be used in a Caseta System. Only the Picos cross all platforms. HWQS and RA2 share some devices as well, but Caseta is an island, essentially.
    Thanks for your reply. This brings follow up questions... Why is it listed as compatible hardware by Lutron for RA2 Select? What purpose would allowing the repeater to "See" the Caseta dimmer serve at all?

Lutron imposed this limitation to protect their base of professional installers. If they made Caseta as capable as RA2 Select then their professional base would cry foul. But I don't see the DIY'er that is installing Caseta are the types that are going to pay the costs of going a professional route. And they will still limit the variety of products in the Caseta line for the same reason. DIYer's are mostly looking for limited capability anyway, but if a home owner has invested thousands of dollars and many hours of their time in their set up, they are not about to pay someone even more money to rip it all out and do it over. I think Lutron can protect the professional guys in other ways, but the 50 device limit is not the right way. It just limits sales and puts a bad feeling in thier customers. I'm guessing most people don't know about the limit when they bought Caseta (I didn't) and they probably didn't think they would hit it. But it all starts with one or two switches and grows from there, then a few shades, and bam.. 50 and you are done. The only thing left to do is be pissed at Lutron and look for another product to buy to klugde a hybrid system together.

6. Likes rhett7660 liked this post

Lack of Support

My suggestion would be to embaress Lutron pubically. I am referring to his forum thread via a-link to it on any Caseta tweet I see. I am sure they will learn to hate me as much as I hate their lack of support.

Makes no sense

With so many companies coming out with DIY switches Lutron really needs a DIY system that we as consumers can grow with. I am willing to spend money, however, there was nothing on the packaging that stated there was a 50 limit. I want to add more Sonos controllers and pedestals with remotes and finish my install. I am waiting for Lutron to come up with a solution. The high-end market is changing with all of the DIY solutions. I never saw the RA2 Select at Home Depot or for sale on Amazon and was not about to hunt down a local dealer. Come on Lutron! Make this work. Don't hurt your best DIY customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas_Smarthome View Post
    Lutron imposed this limitation to protect their base of professional installers. If they made Caseta as capable as RA2 Select then their professional base would cry foul. But I don't see the DIY'er that is installing Caseta are the types that are going to pay the costs of going a professional route. And they will still limit the variety of products in the Caseta line for the same reason. DIYer's are mostly looking for limited capability anyway, but if a home owner has invested thousands of dollars and many hours of their time in their set up, they are not about to pay someone even more money to rip it all out and do it over. I think Lutron can protect the professional guys in other ways, but the 50 device limit is not the right way. It just limits sales and puts a bad feeling in thier customers. I'm guessing most people don't know about the limit when they bought Caseta (I didn't) and they probably didn't think they would hit it. But it all starts with one or two switches and grows from there, then a few shades, and bam.. 50 and you are done. The only thing left to do is be pissed at Lutron and look for another product to buy to klugde a hybrid system together.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoreThan50 View Post
    With so many companies coming out with DIY switches Lutron really needs a DIY system that we as consumers can grow with. I am willing to spend money, however, there was nothing on the packaging that stated there was a 50 limit. I want to add more Sonos controllers and pedestals with remotes and finish my install. I am waiting for Lutron to come up with a solution. The high-end market is changing with all of the DIY solutions. I never saw the RA2 Select at Home Depot or for sale on Amazon and was not about to hunt down a local dealer. Come on Lutron! Make this work. Don't hurt your best DIY customers.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Sadly I don't think they will. Given the amount of silence on these boards and announcements. I think we are stuck to using third parties in order to overcome the 50 device limit.

Maybe not, however, no one saw Amazon coming with Alexa and that took hold really fast and now Google and Apple have to scramble to get their share. So many new companies and designs and cool switches coming on the market. Lutron needs to act fast or they will miss out on the coming DIY home automation market that I see as exploding. At least that is how I see it....but who am I to tell them what to do. I just see the high-end market as being the smaller future market and the DIY market growing and growing.....but maybe Lutron has data that shows something different......but then Mercedes never saw Tesla producing the best selling luxury car and now they are all playing catch up. I have to think that the marketing people are on this at Lutron. What happens when Amazon comes out with a switch that looks great is cost effective and has a 200 device limit? Lutron, you need to be first as you have a great product. Don't cripple the system! I promise you will regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
    Sadly I don't think they will. Given the amount of silence on these boards and announcements. I think we are stuck to using third parties in order to overcome the 50 device limit.

11. Thanks davisadm thanked for this post
    Likes davisadm liked this post

Save Spots with the Pro Dimmer

I see a lot of folks who are unhappy with the device limit, and even a few recommendations on how to circumvent it. But I haven't seen anyone suggesting "Asset Management" via the use of the Caseta Pro Dimmer (PD-10NXD) and the Caseta In Wall Swtich (PD-5WS-DV).

I too am starting to bump my head on the device limit. I had a few of the regular dimmers installed with Picos in various secondary switch locations (3-way). I've pulled those dimmers out and replaced them with the PD-10ND and PD-5WS-DV both of which allow me to use conventional 3 & 4 way switches in the secondary switch locations. This has allowed me to pull a bunch of Picos out of the wall freeing up spots for more devices. I've moved some of those regular dimmers to locations that have only one switch and/or sold them to friends (along with a bunch of Picos).

I probably should mention that both of these do require a neutral wire. I like that, but for many it may be viewed as a drawback.

As of right now I have:

• 5 Pro Dimmers
    • 8 Switches
    • 3 ELV Dimmers (no traveler wire here - installed in single switch circuits)
    • 1 Regular Dimmer (installed in single switch location)
    • 1 Wall Outlet
    • 7 Picos

That's 26 devices including the Smart Bridge. Sounds like plenty of room, right...? Well, I just ordered 20 window blinds. That leaves me room for only 4 Picos to control the blinds.

So I guess I'm with you guys. I'm in a situation where I am going to be forced to stop buying Lutron devices. I have many more windows (42 in total) and light circuits in my home that I'd like to control. But I had to trim my system down to stay under the device limit. I am not a custom integrator customer. A big part of the enjoyment I derive from this system is in it's design and installation. I really enjoy DIY.

13. Thanks davisadm thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoreThan50 View Post
    Maybe not, however, no one saw Amazon coming with Alexa and that took hold really fast and now Google and Apple have to scramble to get their share. So many new companies and designs and cool switches coming on the market. Lutron needs to act fast or they will miss out on the coming DIY home automation market that I see as exploding. At least that is how I see it....but who am I to tell them what to do. I just see the high-end market as being the smaller future market and the DIY market growing and growing.....but maybe Lutron has data that shows something different......but then Mercedes never saw Tesla producing the best selling luxury car and now they are all playing catch up. I have to think that the marketing people are on this at Lutron. What happens when Amazon comes out with a switch that looks great is cost effective and has a 200 device limit? Lutron, you need to be first as you have a great product. Don't cripple the system! I promise you will regret it.
    I'd be willing to bet that at this time the DIY market is a minor part of Lutron's overall sales. I actually have a lot of respect for what they've done to define their product ladder and protect the custom integrators that have been supporting and using their products at much higher volumes for 20+ years. But I do agree with your opinion that the DIY market is likely on the cusp of explosive growth. Devices like Alexa, Siri, Google Home, etc..., they are making this technology main stream. I recently learned that my 80 year old Aunt Loraine has Phillips Hue light bulbs throughout her house. I thought I was impressing her with my lighting control, instead she was grinding me on why I can't change the color of my lights like she can. Are you kidding me...?!? My 80 year old aunt...?!? I think we can thank Amazon for making easy turn key solutions available to the masses. If you can screw a light bulb in, you're ready....

The Custom Integrators aren't likely to take a hit. These people weren't their customers to begin with. Their customers are building million dollar houses. If anything, this wave of DIY may help the custom integrators because I'll be darned if a guy building a million dollar house is going to be out done by his secretary who controls her lights with her iPhone.

There are a lot of light switches hitting the market. I've looked many of them over and I still think the Lutron Caseta is the one to beat. But I wouldn't count on it staying that way for long. There's going to come a point where that 50 device limit is going to be used against them. At that point Lutron is going to have a hard decision to make. Do they want to be in the DIY market or not?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast