Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  41
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Caseta System at max Capacity

I’ve bought into the Caseta system and have been a guest on these forums since Caseta was released. I’ve created an account today to echo the sentiments of other users in this thread.

I originally added Caseta switches to my house so I could add Picos to a few locations where light switches should have been. From there I added some to my media room and continued elsewhere in the house to the point I’m at now with 49 devices. I prefer to work on things myself, not pay to watch someone else do it for me, and with my investment in Caseta I’m never going to be a RA2 customer.

Lutron, you’ve completely missed the mark with your RA2 Express release. What you should have done was make the RA2 Express hub capable of using Caseta or the RA2 hardware, allowing users like those in this thread an official upgrade path. Instead you’ve filled the gap between RA2 and Caseta, while completely alienating those who’ve already heavily invested in Caseta.

I recognize the reasoning for having an intermediary between the two systems, but turning your back on Caseta users was the wrong approach. Either increase the device limit of our current hubs, reduce device counts (ex. stop counting Picos as devices) or give us an upgrade path. I’d happily pay for increased limits by means of a software license or by purchasing new hardware. Provide a solution and take my money, please.

If you think the vast majority of Caseta users are going to throw their equipment away so they can start again you are sorely mistaken. A user with a few switches may be willing to do that, but they likely aren’t concerned with a 50 device limit either so they’re probably not going to see the value in RA2 select. Users with 40+ devices will definitely see the value with increased capacity, yet those are the users you’ve abandoned.

Forcing your customers to work around your product limits instead of providing an upgrade path is the wrong approach. Unless something changes soon I see Homeseer in my future.

2. Thanks CaliforniaGuy thanked for this post
    Likes rhett7660, AndyWa liked this post
    Well said bmennear. Though I believe that Lutron released RA2 Select to fill in the gap between Caseta and the expensive Radio RA2 system. It was never planned nor will be an upgrade path for Caseta customers and I don't expect many to do so. The idea is for RA2 Select customers to be able to upgrade to Radio RA2. But I agree that Lutron missed the mark by ignoring Caseta customers. Lutron does not want DIYers to instal RA2 Select or Radio RA2, but for installers to make money doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by bmennear View Post
    I’ve bought into the Caseta system and have been a guest on these forums since Caseta was released. I’ve created an account today to echo the sentiments of other users in this thread.

I originally added Caseta switches to my house so I could add Picos to a few locations where light switches should have been. From there I added some to my media room and continued elsewhere in the house to the point I’m at now with 49 devices. I prefer to work on things myself, not pay to watch someone else do it for me, and with my investment in Caseta I’m never going to be a RA2 customer.

Lutron, you’ve completely missed the mark with your RA2 Express release. What you should have done was make the RA2 Express hub capable of using Caseta or the RA2 hardware, allowing users like those in this thread an official upgrade path. Instead you’ve filled the gap between RA2 and Caseta, while completely alienating those who’ve already heavily invested in Caseta.

I recognize the reasoning for having an intermediary between the two systems, but turning your back on Caseta users was the wrong approach. Either increase the device limit of our current hubs, reduce device counts (ex. stop counting Picos as devices) or give us an upgrade path. I’d happily pay for increased limits by means of a software license or by purchasing new hardware. Provide a solution and take my money, please.

If you think the vast majority of Caseta users are going to throw their equipment away so they can start again you are sorely mistaken. A user with a few switches may be willing to do that, but they likely aren’t concerned with a 50 device limit either so they’re probably not going to see the value in RA2 select. Users with 40+ devices will definitely see the value with increased capacity, yet those are the users you’ve abandoned.

Forcing your customers to work around your product limits instead of providing an upgrade path is the wrong approach. Unless something changes soon I see Homeseer in my future.

I have steadily increased my GE z-wave switch count as I hit the 50 limit way back due to a large pico count. I do have SmartThings and wink hubs as I slowly moved most of my zwave stuff to SmartThings. I am considering moving some of the caseta switches and their pico counterparts to the wink as one of the other forum members did. At least then I can still use Alexa . Sucks that I have to use a third 3rd hub to get around the 50 limit in order to retain voice control. Which means I have to use 3 phone apps to manage configure and dashboard status. The smartthings hub has a great integration with Caseta so I use that as my master to monitor and dashboard. Unfortunately most of the hubs have only single acct integration on the cloud. So two caseta hubs won’t help with Alexa .

I am at a lost for words with the lack of support from Lutron on their Caseta product. They forget who were the early supporters of their product only to dump on them with there ridiculous marketing move.

Amazon Echo now has routines to control multiple manufactures products with a simple voice command. Instead of wanting to sell more Lutron Caseta product they have forced me to buy from the competitors, create routines and bypass Lutron all together. How can Lutron sit still and let other companies come come up with solutions to fix their own short comings.

Someone at Lutron should loose their job. Is anyone at Lutron even listening?

I guess I will let my feeling be heard on Social media as Lutron does not seem to care about what is said in these forums.

Their nice advertising touting the great Caseta product will now has posts from me letting potential customers know of the product short coming.

Lutron silence if here is deafening.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I am at a lost for words with the lack of support from Lutron on their Caseta product. They forget who were the early supporters of their product only to dump on them with there ridiculous marketing move.

Amazon Echo now has routines to control multiple manufactures products with a simple voice command. Instead of wanting to sell more Lutron Caseta product they have forced me to buy from the competitors, create routines and bypass Lutron all together. How can Lutron sit still and let other companies come come up with solutions to fix their own short comings.

Someone at Lutron should loose their job. Is anyone at Lutron even listening?

I guess I will let my feeling be heard on Social media as Lutron does not seem to care about what is said in these forums.

Their nice advertising touting the great Caseta product will now has posts from me letting potential customers know of the product short coming.

Lutron silence if here is deafening.

- - - Updated - - -
    Totally agree , I stopped recommending caseta to DIY people with installations that could come close to 30+ devices. I love the company and products but they bet too much on their installer/reseller base and alienated a lot more potential. I guess they were surprised too on the Caseta success , same as Amazon was on the echo. Not sure how good wink is for Lutron switches but will try and move a bunch of Sonos and outside lights to Wink to get around the 50. At least Alexa can then control them across hubs. Hard to believe they won’t even let us pay for an upgrades device count !!

WTH - where is Support?

I have just become a member to the forum after hitting the proverbial Caseta wall (50 device limit). I have read this entire thread and although several contributors had suggestions on "work arounds" each had their own limitations. What hit me the most, by the time I got to the end is "where in the heck is Lutron support?" We all have thousands of dollars tied up in our systems to get to this limit. One would think that Lutron would be receptive to trying to keep a user group like this happy. Yet there is hardly any feedback from Support, just members that are all trying to solve this problem without any help from Support. I also own two separate Graffik-eye systems which control my media room and basement - another Lutron product that was abandoned instead of Lutron providing owners with some form of upgrade path for a Wi-Fi option. What is the purpose of this forum - self help or is Lutron Support intended to weigh in on the bigger issues. Is this a situation that Lutron has created this forum, but no one pays any attention to user concerns? Would we be better off sending letters and emails to senior management at Lutron in order to get their attention? If there is a Lutron support person reading this thread, please weigh in -- just so we know that you didn't die at your desk and need medical attention. It shouldn't be too much for users to inquire about Lutron's plans on the future of this product line. Does Lutron have any plans to solve this device limitation issue? This thread is getting fairly long for not having any clear guidance from Lutron on whether or not it is planning to work on a solution. Please, at least tap twice so we know you are there.

Lutron Technical Support
    Lutron doesn't discuss future plans publicly.
    There currently isn't an upgrade path for the Caseta system, to get above the 50 device limitation.
    Since ways "around" the 50 device limitation are through third party systems, I can't comment on them.

9. Thanks SDR-Mike thanked for this post
    Personally I waited a few weeks and started to evaluate HomeSeer as someone over there has written a plugin for Lutron Caseta that supported four bridges. Once I found the homeseer bugzilla page, that scared me away. Next I took a look at Home Assistant. With a Raspberry Pi you can install Hass.io and tie multiple bridges together. Home Assistant is free and open source. It has a basic interface at this time (most changes are via config file), but their user support forums are awesome. If you use the pro bridge you can trigger other events on Pico presses. For example I can have a Pico trigger lights on two different bridges, a philips hue and a sonoff. You can also integrate basically anything and new addons are being added weekly.

I hope Lutron smartens up and gives Caseta users an upgrade path. I would have gladly paid for such an upgrade path. Now that I've hit the 50 limit and come across Hass.io I started adding Hue. Should I decide to go beyond 50 Caseta devices I can just buy another bridge and carry on adding more. I've already added 10 Hue and 8 Sonoff devices. That's 18 devices that would have been Caseta had Lutron afforded me the option to expand beyond the imposed device limitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    There currently isn't an upgrade path for the Caseta system, to get above the 50 device limitation.
    Since ways "around" the 50 device limitation are through third party systems, I can't comment on them.
    I am surprised at this blunt and non-sympathetic reply. There is plenty that Lutron could easily do in order to help and support its paying customers. Going by this, it is obvious that Lutron does not care about their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    After sinking over $2,000 into Lutron switches, dimmers, and smart outlets, I can't tell you how discouraging this answer is, both in content and tone. You can be certain, when an alternative option becomes available from another manufacturer, I will show as much loyalty to Lutron as they have shown to their early adopters.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast