Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  41
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Caseta System at max Capacity

This 50 device limit is a real concern. As other participants have said, I would be happy to pay for more devices on the bridge or buy a bridge that supports more than 50 devices. At this point, I have a heavy investment in Caseta switches and I can't add any more without adding the second bridge. Or, if the RadioR2 connect bridge (supporting 99 devices) could control Caseta? I don't understand why Lutron would hold customers back from trying to do more with their products.

I am hearing some folks are using HomeSense, HomeSeer, and/or Apple's Home App to solve this situation. I would love to hear anyone who has evaluated all three?

The Radio RA2 Connect bridge will not work with Caseta.

Lutron doesn't necessarily hold customers back from trying to do more with their products, but is a marketing trick. I believe that soon, capacity will be increased, or the price of the expensive RA2 system will come down due to lots of competition.

I will say this, of all the different lighting systems I have looked at and installed, Lutron has the most robust and reliable systems out there. They just work!

Please, Please, Please Lutron give us an option to increase past the 50 device limit. Just installed 5 last weekend, have 10 more on the way, 3 or more shades about to be installed so I am approaching fast. Plus I have a Sonos system with 6 Connect:Amps in an attic which I plan on getting Picos for.

I have 3 Leviton Smart Wireless Switches. So if I hit the limit, I guess I start using those as my goto switch replacements for places I don't need Picos.

Quote Originally Posted by jmw_ha View Post
    Please, Please, Please Lutron give us an option to increase past the 50 device limit. Just installed 5 last weekend, have 10 more on the way, 3 or more shades about to be installed so I am approaching fast. Plus I have a Sonos system with 6 Connect:Amps in an attic which I plan on getting Picos for.

I have 3 Leviton Smart Wireless Switches. So if I hit the limit, I guess I start using those as my goto switch replacements for places I don't need Picos.
    Your only option is to run something like Homeseer or another third party system to run multiple SmartBridge Pros. Lutron will not extend the limit, especially with the release of RA2Select.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SDR-Mike View Post
    Your only option is to run something like Homeseer or another third party system to run multiple SmartBridge Pros. Lutron will not extend the limit, especially with the release of RA2Select.
    Yeah, was thinking that, just thought I would chime in with my complaint, LOL.

If I could put the RA2Select on my own, I would consider that.

Probably start looking at a Smarthings Hub or something to run over the top and then multiple SmartBridges. Or just add some more of the Leviton Smart Wifi Switches (which don't require a hub) for just automatic timed stuff like outside cans, etc. or for locations that don't especially need a remote. Either way to join everything I guess I will need the overhead Smarthings Huib or something when I decide I need total control from one app all the devices.
    Insert my rant on including the remotes as a device in the 50 limit now, LOL.

Thanks for the advice.

You can control 2 (or more) hubs with homekit. The homekit interface is great and you can set up scenes etc. Radioraselect 2 will be a lot more expensive than caseta, and in my opinion the wall mountable scene selections are somewhat dated not that everything can be controlled with a smartphone or alexa.

I have been running three hubs and using Homekit/Siri without problems. I continue to be frustrated with the ability to only control the lights on one hub with Alexa though. Anyone know if any of the recent changes to the Alexa Smart Home API and/or the new Echo Plus with built in hub will help address this issue? I don't think the hub will help because, unlike Wink, it only has a Zigbee radio from what I can tell. My hope is that the updated API would let Lutron update their skill to allow for multiple account linking (but it's just a hope). Thanks.

Let’s just talk common sense. Lutron is hurting their own sales with the 50 device limit. I would add another 20 devices in my own home without this ridiculous restraint. I too would spend additional money on an new hardware or software upgrade that would free us on the limit.

Instead Lutron continues to bury their heads in the sand with this issue. if you want additional dimmers and switches over your 50 Lutron device limit buy some from Leviton. It is my understanding Leviton will integrate with HomeKit and Alexa. Voice control is the future so you really don’t need Picos.

Wake up Lutron your are only hurting yourself.

I have upwards of 44 devices on my hub now, so this discussion is very interesting to me. I'm also a highly technical person, and tend to do a lot of my own home repairs, although bringing in tradesmen where I have deficiencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Instead Lutron continues to bury their heads in the sand with this issue.
    I don't think Lutron is burying their head in the sand. Unfortunately they have a large client base of installers/designers/integrators who are likely vocal about having the DIY system be limited so that those with larger systems, or more complicated systems, must use an integrator. The problem with that concept is that any integrator that needs the DIY system to be limited for them to retain customers are probably not a very good integrator.

Before the integrators here get up in arms, what I mean by that is this: a good integrator that provides value to a customer can sell their services and maintain clients whether lower end systems are purposefully limited or not. If a potential client sees value in hiring an integrator, they will do so if they can afford it.

There are those of us in the DIY market that are going to get it done, either by working around the limitations (3rd party devices that integrate and allow cross hub automation/control), or will just move on to another manufacturer that doesn't have a limitation that causes us issues.

Earlier this year we had an unfortunate event occur that caused us to need to renovate over 1/2 our 2500 sqft home. I have a significant portion of my lighting controlled by Caseta. Since we were going down to studs and re-doing a vast majority of the electrical in the house I was able to consider using any platform for my lighting control if I wanted to. I very nearly ended up deploying Z-Wave to replace my Lutron (HomeSeer switches, as I have HomeSeer as my main hub, and those switches are very feature rich). However since I already had investment in Caseta, and I really like many of their features, I decided to stick with it. However, it was a very close decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Voice control is the future so you really don’t need Picos.

While a lot of people are using voice control and it is becoming
    ubiquitous, the Picos were the driving reason for me staying with Caseta. Firstly, every voice system I've used has been fun at first, but ultimately I feel like a huge dork talking to my technology, and I use Siri A LOT. Secondly sometimes you just need a physical switch, maybe you are going to bed and your wife is already asleep. Maybe you don't feel like jumping through the hoops and stating what you want to accomplish just right. Having a physical controller that matches the dimmers, and you can mount into a box, or straight on the wall, and make look like a normally installed switch is killer. Then when you integrate to a 3rd party system via the telnet integration and can use them as real scene controllers it becomes a whole new world.

All that being said, I plan on testing a HomePod when they are available, and since they are HomeKit based they should work in the multiple hub scenario. It is just a shame they have to, as the limitation is pretty silly.

10. Likes cvilhena liked this post
    EDIT: accidental double post.
    Last edited by Shawn Parr; 10-15-2017 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Double post

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast