Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: In-wall dimmers: One of two switches flashing and/or unresponsive

In-wall dimmers: One of two switches flashing and/or unresponsive

I just installed two Caseta in-wall dimmers, side-by-side in the same box. Both are on 3-way circuits, where I completely ignore the other end (I have not removed the switches on the other end, just don't touch them). The two circuits are the only things on the 15A breaker.

The bulbs are all the same, 8.5W approved bulbs, 4 per switch.

One switch is working as I'd expect. No problems. The other one is misbehaving in multiple ways. Primarily, if I get it to turn on, the lights flash in one second increments at any brightness. No strange readings from the switch lights. Secondly, more and more often (I've been fiddling with them for around an hour now), the troublesome switch is completely unresponsive through devices or manually operating the switch.

I'm guessing this is an issue with how I've wired them, but any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Lutron Technical Support
    What's the manufacturer and model number of the LED bulbs, and what is the model number of the Caseta dimmer or switch?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    What's the manufacturer and model number of the LED bulbs, and what is the model number of the Caseta dimmer or switch?

Hi Brian, sorry for the delay! The switches are PD-6WCL’s. I can’t access the light bulbs at the moment, but they are on the list.

After some further troubleshooting, it came does to a wiring issue, so I took a closer look and realized that the main hot wire was not reaching the second switch. Effectively, the first switch was switching the second in addition to its lights. This wasn’t totally clear until I realized that the LEDs glow dimly when the lights are off, and the second switch wouldn’t glow if the first was off. The dimming/smart aspects made this a little unclear before this.

Thank you for the response anyway, and for any future readers, check for the dim LEDs when the lights are off. If there is no glow, the switch isn’t getting power.

Quote Originally Posted by gavins View Post

Thank you for the response anyway, and for any future readers, check for the dim LEDs when the lights are off. If there is no glow, the switch isn’t getting power.
    Just a note, they will also not glow if you have no light bulb (load), or a bad bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    Just a note, they will also not glow if you have no light bulb (load), or a bad bulb.
    Good to know, thank you!