Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: LED can lights flickering when off but only when other circuit is on

Question LED can lights flickering when off but only when other circuit is on

Hello. Looking for some assistance with a rather unique problem.
    I have 5 Lutron Caseta dinners in my house. 4 standard Caseta dimmers - 1 in MBR, 1 in Family Room, 1 in Living Room, and 1 in a stair area. 1 Caseta Pro dimmer with neutral connected in the kitchen due to load being >150w. LR/FR/Stairs have FEIT LED 5" retrofit can lights (CELEDRT56/850/927/2), kitchen has a higher wattage 5" (LEDR56/827 I believe) and the bedroom has 4". No issues with bedroom.
    The problem started when the Pro was installed in the kitchen. When the kitchen lights are off, everything is fine. When the kitchen lights are on, the lights in the living room, family room, and in the stairway area all flicker when off. The flickering is much more pronounced when the kitchen lights are dimmed but still happens when the kitchen lights are on full. If I remove a Caseta from the living room for example and put a regular switch back in, no more flickering in the LR. The only lights that flicker are 5" lights on a Caseta dimmer, but only when the pro is installed. If I remove the Pro, no flickering anywhere. Pulling out the FASS on say the LR lights lowers the flickering but does not eliminate.
    Video: http://vid.me/9CGW[1]
    My electrician has not seen this before but admittedly has not had a lot of experience with the Lutron Caseta dimmers.
    Another oddity, I have four small LED stairway lights. We put in a Caseta switch to control those lights. When off, the LED's emit some light. When I pull the FASS out on the switch, then they dim and eventually fade out. I push in the FASS, they light up again. When I turn on the switch, they light up full power. These lights are not affected my the kitchen lights with the Pro dimmer. This happens whether or not the kitchen lights are on.

In another forum, it was suggested to use a LUT-MLC. None of my dimmers came with this and a post in this community stated it wasn't tested with Caseta. Would this go on each circuit that's flickering? I'm happy to buy and try but it seems to not be readily available to consumers.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Can anyone from Lutron chime in?

Lutron Technical Support
    We have tested the LEDR56/827 with our PD-6WCL dimmers back in 2014, but not with the PD-10NXD Pro dimmer.
    We haven't tested the CELEDRT56/850/927/2 with any our dimmers, so we don't know how they will react with our dimmers.

What is happening sounds like some kind of neutral interaction between the dimmers and their loads.
    Did you connect the neutral wire of the PD-10NXD to the neutral wires in the wall box?
    Are the kitchen, living room, family room, and stairway area on the same circuit breaker, or are they on separate breakers?
    Since we have tested the LEDR56/827 with our PD-6WCL dimmers, have you tried using a PD-6WCL instead?

The LUT-MLC doesn't come with the Caseta dimmers because it's only needed with the Caseta non-neutral switch (PD-5WCL-DV). You would have to purchase it separately. We've never tested using the LUT-MLC with any of the dimmers, so we don't know how this would affect the dimmer and the load. It may make it better, or it may make it worse.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply.
    Yes, the neutral on PD-10NXD is connected to the wall box.
    The kitchen is on a separate circuit breaker from the living room, family room, and stairway area. The LR and stairway area are on the same breaker.
    I had to use the PRO for the kitchen (LEDR56/827) since there are 8 lights which exceeds the 150w limit of the PD-6WCL.

Where I become confused is the fact the
    PD-10NXD is on a separate circuit than the ones flickering. Unsure of going all PRO or even trying the ELV dimmer (although costly) would potentially resolve.

Try disconnecting the neutral wire (since it is not required anyway) I had an issue with 1 when the neutral was connected the lights were not happy and the red led on the switched flashed. removed the neutral connection and all worked fine.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    To speed up the troubleshooting process, you send an email to systemsupport@lutron.com, reference this forum post, and we can continue offline. When we find a solution, I will be happy to post our findings here in order to help other with similar issues.

Good call.

Actually, when it was first installed the neutral was left off and we figured that was the issue. We connected the neutral and the problem still existed.

8. Likes Sawdust liked this post
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    I got the OK from engineering to install an LUT-MLC with the PD-5NE. This should resolve your issue...if you need an LUT-MLC, send me an email to systemsupport@lutron.com with your shipping address.

I am having a similar issue. I bought a Caseta Pro bridge and a bunch of PD-6WCL dimmers. My contractor put the same retrofit led cans in every room (do not know the brand but I do love them). They dim perfectly and have no issues when on and on the app I can go from 100% down to 1% with no issues. BUT......when they turn off, they will pulse very faintly for a few seconds before finally shutting completely off. You can only see it at night when it is pitch black.

I have them set up in multiple rooms. 1 dimmer controls 8 cans, 3 set up in 3 bedrooms of 4 cans each, and a breakfast nook that has 2 cans. The one that has only two cans pulses much faster and then only one turns off completely. They other will pulse indefinitely. I swapped that switch out for a pro model dimmer and wired the neutral into it. Ow it pulses like the others still but both will stop after a few seconds. It helped but didn’t fix it completely.....and twice the price. Can I get these LUT-MLC things too? Will that fix my issue? Please help.