Thread: total blackout options for sliding doors

Question total blackout options for sliding doors

I was called by a potential client that has asked me to cleanup a shade install from a previous installer. Client has a large sliding glass door which is split into two (2) parts; one fixed and one that moves. On both sides of this door are two (2) glass windows.

The previous dealer installed three (3) blackout shades; one (1) on each of the side windows and one (1) large shade that covers both the fixed and movable panes. There is a 2"metal mullion between the windows.

Client would like total blackout when closed; since there are multiple shades, how would two (2) side channels mounted back-to-back along the mullion work? Has anyone done something like this before? If so, how did it work out? Other options?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkvossen View Post
    I was called by a potential client that has asked me to cleanup a shade install from a previous installer. Client has a large sliding glass door which is split into two (2) parts; one fixed and one that moves. On both sides of this door are two (2) glass windows.

The previous dealer installed three (3) blackout shades; one (1) on each of the side windows and one (1) large shade that covers both the fixed and movable panes. There is a 2"metal mullion between the windows.

Client would like total blackout when closed; since there are multiple shades, how would two (2) side channels mounted back-to-back along the mullion work? Has anyone done something like this before? If so, how did it work out? Other options?

thanks
    I've done it- it works just fine. If the total height isn't much more than 96" and the fabric panels don't track left-to-right as they move up and down you can most likely use the 1.5" deep side channel. Sounds like the best solution for this application.